COMP: computer Czech speech recognition

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      Hello there,

      Jamie hinted on speech recognition software as a tool in the translation
      process recently. Is anybody on the list aware of this kind of thing
      existing or being developed for the Czech language?

      Jirka Bolech
    • Dominik Lukes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
        > Jamie hinted on speech recognition software as a tool in the translation
        > process recently. Is anybody on the list aware of this kind of thing
        > existing or being developed for the Czech language?
        Yes, there's quite a bit of work going on both at FF UK and CVUT. It's very
        expensive research and I'm not aware of any commercial applications (I've
        been out of the loop for a while, though). There's been a lot more success
        with speech synthesis, though, and good commercially available applications
        do exist.

        As far as using any of this as a tool for tranlators I am extremely
        sceptical (for any language).

        Dominik

        Dominik Lukes
        http://www.bohemica.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
          Afaik, there is nothing in Czech, existing nor being developed. IBM was
          about to make a Czech version of what became ViaVoice in mid 90s, but they
          withdrew as the market would not be large enough to pay back. But I believe
          this can be a help in English too.

          Cheers!