Re: Automatic translation on Google

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
      I was recently translating a purely technical document from German into Czech. When using Google to open webpages and glossaries written in German, I noticed that most of them offer the possibility of an English translation by clicking "Translate this page". I emphasize that this is not like switching to an English version prepared by the authors of German webpages - the translation I obtained was produced automatically without the interventation of human translators. It's a free service offered by Google that automatically translates pages published in languages other than English. I used this not just of curiosity because sometimes by comparing the same item translated into two languages, I understood better its meaning.
      I was surprised to see how good these automatic translations were - of course, sometimes with syntactic errors and clumsy texts, in some cases the automatic translator had a problem with some term, so it left it in German (not very frequently, actually), but the information value was not lost.
      One can get more information on this Google project by clicking the headline of the translated page (e.g., the service is still in Beta mode, which means it is being tested and improved, translations from French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portugues are offered now, but Google is working on support for other languages, etc.).

      I would appreciate receiving comments and opinions from anyone who is interested or has some experience with this project (it seems to me that in about 5 - 7 years, a typical translator's job would be to put a final touch on the automatic translation of a technical document).
      D.P.
      .

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
        Where exactly is this button, Dusan? I have not found it at the list of hits nor after clicking one of the links.

        Cheers!
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • SKRIVANEK Prague - Rachel Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
          > Where exactly is this button, Dusan? I have not found it at the list
          of hits nor after clicking one of the links.

          If Google comes up in Czech on your computer, you might need to click
          on "Google in English" to get this feature to work. Then you should
          see it in grey text directly after each link on the search results
          page.

          Rachel
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
            Thanks, Tomas and Rachel. Wow, it´s really great! It´s almost a fluent text. Fortunately for us, Czech is somewhat more distant from Eglish than French that I have tested.

            Cheers!
            > Where exactly is this button, Dusan? I have not found it at the list
            of hits nor after clicking one of the links.

            If Google comes up in Czech on your computer, you might need to click
            on "Google in English" to get this feature to work. Then you should
            see it in grey text directly after each link on the search results
            page.

            Rachel

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          • Sabina Králová
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
              Zkousim anglickou verzi Google, ale hranate zavorky se mi za odkazy na
              zobrazenei stranky neobjevuji. Nevim co delam spatne.
              Sabina Kralova
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
                In a message dated 11/30/01 4:40:00 AM, Papousek@... writes:

                >I was recently translating a purely technical document from German into
                >Czech. When using Google to open webpages and glossaries written in German,
                >I noticed that most of them offer the possibility of an English translation
                >by clicking "Translate this page". I emphasize that this is not like
                switching
                >to an English version prepared by the authors of German webpages - the
                >translation I obtained was produced automatically without the interventation
                >of human translators. It's a free service offered by Google that
                automatically
                >translates pages published in languages other than English.

                Alta Vista provides the same service. For a few years I have been using it
                in my linguistics classes to show students who have unwavering faith in
                computers to do anything -- and who believe, like former president Clinton,
                that there is software that can really translate -- that computers can't do
                many of the things attributed to them. Generally, I have it translate
                something from English into Spanish or German and back. This yields terms
                like "club of ventilator", which began as "fan club". One time I even got
                "Würstchengeneral", which the program was unable to translate back into
                English.

                If you really want to have some fun, use the Czech version of PC Translator,
                and see what it does to a sentence like the common declaration in comic
                books, "This is a job for Superman!" The last time I tried it, I got, "Toto
                je zamestnani pro samoobsluhu."

                And no computer translation program can translate a sentence like, "He saw
                that gasoline can explode," or, "The chickens are ready to eat."

                Jamie
              • Tomás Skront
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
                  Musís se prepnout na anglickou verzi googlu, a pak je takový odkaz na
                  preklad stránky v hranatých závorkách ihned za odkazem na originální verzi
                  stránky: napr. www.terra.es [Translate this page].

                  Tomas
                  > Where exactly is this button, Dusan? I have not found it at the list of
                  hits nor after clicking one of the links.

                  > Cheers!
                  > Martin

                • Dominik Lukes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
                    > And no computer translation program can translate a sentence
                    > like, "He saw
                    > that gasoline can explode," or, "The chickens are ready to eat."
                    The comercial one's can't but there are some in development that address
                    these issues. It will never be perfect but it's doable with good parsing
                    improved by stochastic approaches. The problem is with idioms and
                    collocations. How do you translate several simple sentences like 'Schumacher
                    zavod nedojel.' vs. 'Vcera jsem si nedojel pro vajicka.' vs. 'To auto uz
                    nedojelo domu.' The only way you can automate such translations is by
                    including human knowledge of the world, which you can't do yet.

                    If you think about it, it is amazing how little the machine translators can
                    do. The whole field started in Canada where they wanted to translate weather
                    forecasts from English to French. As far as I know, they still only get
                    about 97% right (after 30 years). Which means an error in every other
                    paragraph - enough to get you fired...

                    Dominik