Re: pevna linka

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Petr Jarolím <ok2med@c...> wrote:
      > Alena, Jamie, Melvyn, Matej, Dominik and others!
      > Thanks for all those suggestions!
      > Hana

      Hi,

      I sent a follow-up on this subject but somehow it never made it - here
      is the gist of what I wrote:

      People do indeed often say 'ordinary phone', 'normal phone' or 'the
      phone at home' to refer to phones on terrestrial systems and this
      would be characteristic of popular style IMHO but as has been pointed
      out, these expressions might be ambiguous. I see 'plain old telephone
      system' is enjoying a certain vogue amongst old voguies these days :).
      I have come across 'regular telephone' or 'standard telephone' used in
      contrast to 'mobile telephone' too but again these might be ambiguous
      in some contexts. BTW on a whim, I tried out 'classic telephone' on
      Google and sure enough came up with several .cz sites (I will use
      'standard' or 'regular' for 'klasicky' in some contexts). I also found
      'wired telephone' and 'non-mobile telephone' used in contrast to
      'mobile phone' and I am sure there are other possibilities. Of course,
      as always, it all depends on our context, our readership, our chosen
      style and the effect we are trying to put over.

      M.
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
        In a message dated 11/29/01 6:14:49 AM, zehrovak@... writes:

        >I also found
        >'wired telephone' and 'non-mobile telephone' used in contrast to
        >'mobile phone' and I am sure there are other possibilities. Of course,
        >as always, it all depends on our context, our readership, our chosen
        >style and the effect we are trying to put over.

        But are we even answering this person's question? Maybe "pevna linka" is
        used to mean the "linka" and not the telephone. In that case, "land line" is
        the only way to go.