Re: [Czechlist] Cizinecky zakon

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2000
      To Martin´s comment on US/UK English teachers leaving Prague (CR):

      I do not want to generalize, I am not involved in teaching myself, but an
      illustrative example might be a good friend of mine, an American teacher who
      has been teaching English in Poland for some two years. It seems to me that
      he understands his teaching job in Poland rather as a transient step to get
      experience in teaching ESL and to move and teach ESL in Western Europe.

      Kostas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2000
        Kostas Zgafas wrote:

        > It seems to me that
        > he understands his teaching job in Poland rather as a transient step to
        get
        > experience in teaching ESL and to move and teach ESL in Western Europe.

        Just a remark: some people distinguish between ESL (English as a second
        language) and EFL (English as a foreign language), the former being taught
        in a country where English is generally used as a first language while the
        latter in a country where it isn't.

        Jirka Bolech
      • Rachel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2000
          > Just a remark: some people distinguish between ESL (English as a second
          > language) and EFL (English as a foreign language), the former being taught
          > in a country where English is generally used as a first language while the
          > latter in a country where it isn't.
          >
          > Jirka Bolech

          Hi Jirko,
          Interesting point, and you're absolutely right. What you didn't say (though
          maybe you implied it) is that EFL can also be taught in countries where
          English is a first language, but generally to people who come to that
          country specifically to learn English, and then go away again. ESL, on the
          other hand, is designed for immigrants arriving in an English-speaking
          country and making their home there. For that reason it is often much more
          practical -- I've heard it said that it's more like social work than
          language teaching, dealing with the specific problems that immigrants face,
          and trying to teach them the essential things they need simply to survive in
          a foreign country.

          Rachel (who took a TESOL course [Teaching English to Speakers of Other
          Languages -- which encompasses both TEFL and TESL] but never used it
          practically)