Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: Cizinecky zakon

    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 2:11 AM
      HI MELVYN,

      >All the teachers I have spoken to confirm that the schools are desperate
      for
      qualified English teachers and that quality has fallen sharply since the
      start of the year. I understand the language schools are now often
      recruiting people just on the strength of the fact that they are native
      speakers (i.e. no qualifications or experience - just like in the early
      nineties).

      OK. IF THE CHANGE IS REALLY THAT ABRUPT IN TIME, THEN YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT
      THE LAW´ S IMPACT. HOWEVER, THERE MIGHT BE ALSO A SIMPLE FACT THAT PRAGUE
      GOT OUT OF FASHION AND NO MORE YOUNG UK/US ADVANTURERS FLOW IN.

      Please explain to me why the language schools in Prague set up an
      organization to campaign against this aspect of the law.

      SIMPLY TRYING TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. THEY STARTED TO MAKE A FUSS A LONG
      TIME BEFORE THE BILL BECAME EFFECTIVE AND BEFORE THEY KNEW WHAT THE REAL
      IMPACT WOULD BE.

      Yes I am sure you are right - though that was not my main point. I am simply
      pointing out that there is an increasing demand for language teachers and
      that surely this is an opportunity for experienced translators.

      I AM NOT SURE A GOOD TRANSLATOR EQUALS A GOOD LANGUAGE TEACHER. WITH MANY
      HOURS SPENT TYPING AT YOUR DESKTOP, YOU CAN DEVELOP A LOT OF SKILLS
      (INCLUDING A TWISTED BACKBONE ;-)) BUT YOUR ACCENT AND FLUENCY AND ABILITY
      TO SPEAK GOES INVARIABLY DOWN (THIS PROBABLY DOES NOT APPLY TO NATIVE
      SPEAKERS, OR DOES IT?) AND YET ANOTHER POINT: CORRECT ME IF I´ M WRONG, BUT
      AS A GOOD AND SUCESSFUL TRANSLATOR, YOU CAN EARN MUCH MORE THAN WITH
      TEACHING ENGLISH. BTW, I SEE MYSELF AS A RATHER HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS
      TRANSLATOR, BUT I WOULD NOT DARE TO TEACH (HAVE NO ATTITUDE, ACCENT,
      PATIENCE NOR SKILLS).

      (SORRY FOR DISTURBING YOU WITH THE UPPER CASE, DEAL LISTMATES. I SIMPLY
      TRIED TO HELP YOU DISTINGUSH BETWEEN MELVYN´ S THOUGHTS AND MY REMARKS, AS
      THE "VIPER" MARK DENOTING A QUOTED TEXT SOMEHOW REFUSED TO APPEAR IN MY
      REPLY).

      C4N
      MARTIN
      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

      Shower mom with love & roses!
      FREE bouquet of chocolate roses with Mother's Day purchase.
      Plan ALL your celebrations in one place at GreatEntertaining.com.
      Click now.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/3527/4/_/628910/_/957315854/

      Czechlist homepage:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist