RE: [Czechlist] ISSUE: Cizinecky zakon

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2000
      Hullo Martin,

      > Are you sure the number of foreign teachers coming to CR has really
      fallen?

      All the teachers I have spoken to confirm that the schools are desperate for
      qualified English teachers and that quality has fallen sharply since the
      start of the year. I understand the language schools are now often
      recruiting people just on the strength of the fact that they are native
      speakers (i.e. no qualifications or experience - just like in the early
      nineties).

      > Guess we should wait for some time to measure the real impact. I don�t
      think
      > the terms for incoming (western) teachers are in fact worse than before -
      in
      > spite of medial hysteria.

      Please explain to me why the language schools in Prague set up an
      organization to campaign against this aspect of the law.

      > IMHO, the native speakers are irreplaceable in language teaching, as even
      > the best Czech teachers simply can�t convey to students the right accent
      and
      > cultural background.

      Yes I am sure you are right - though that was not my main point. I am simply
      pointing out that there is an increasing demand for language teachers and
      that surely this is an opportunity for experienced translators.

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2000
        HI MELVYN,

        >All the teachers I have spoken to confirm that the schools are desperate
        for
        qualified English teachers and that quality has fallen sharply since the
        start of the year. I understand the language schools are now often
        recruiting people just on the strength of the fact that they are native
        speakers (i.e. no qualifications or experience - just like in the early
        nineties).

        OK. IF THE CHANGE IS REALLY THAT ABRUPT IN TIME, THEN YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT
        THE LAW´ S IMPACT. HOWEVER, THERE MIGHT BE ALSO A SIMPLE FACT THAT PRAGUE
        GOT OUT OF FASHION AND NO MORE YOUNG UK/US ADVANTURERS FLOW IN.

        Please explain to me why the language schools in Prague set up an
        organization to campaign against this aspect of the law.

        SIMPLY TRYING TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. THEY STARTED TO MAKE A FUSS A LONG
        TIME BEFORE THE BILL BECAME EFFECTIVE AND BEFORE THEY KNEW WHAT THE REAL
        IMPACT WOULD BE.

        Yes I am sure you are right - though that was not my main point. I am simply
        pointing out that there is an increasing demand for language teachers and
        that surely this is an opportunity for experienced translators.

        I AM NOT SURE A GOOD TRANSLATOR EQUALS A GOOD LANGUAGE TEACHER. WITH MANY
        HOURS SPENT TYPING AT YOUR DESKTOP, YOU CAN DEVELOP A LOT OF SKILLS
        (INCLUDING A TWISTED BACKBONE ;-)) BUT YOUR ACCENT AND FLUENCY AND ABILITY
        TO SPEAK GOES INVARIABLY DOWN (THIS PROBABLY DOES NOT APPLY TO NATIVE
        SPEAKERS, OR DOES IT?) AND YET ANOTHER POINT: CORRECT ME IF I´ M WRONG, BUT
        AS A GOOD AND SUCESSFUL TRANSLATOR, YOU CAN EARN MUCH MORE THAN WITH
        TEACHING ENGLISH. BTW, I SEE MYSELF AS A RATHER HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS
        TRANSLATOR, BUT I WOULD NOT DARE TO TEACH (HAVE NO ATTITUDE, ACCENT,
        PATIENCE NOR SKILLS).

        (SORRY FOR DISTURBING YOU WITH THE UPPER CASE, DEAL LISTMATES. I SIMPLY
        TRIED TO HELP YOU DISTINGUSH BETWEEN MELVYN´ S THOUGHTS AND MY REMARKS, AS
        THE "VIPER" MARK DENOTING A QUOTED TEXT SOMEHOW REFUSED TO APPEAR IN MY
        REPLY).

        C4N
        MARTIN
        Melvyn

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

        Shower mom with love & roses!
        FREE bouquet of chocolate roses with Mother's Day purchase.
        Plan ALL your celebrations in one place at GreatEntertaining.com.
        Click now.
        http://click.egroups.com/1/3527/4/_/628910/_/957315854/

        Czechlist homepage:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist