Re: [Czechlist] Term: imperial yellow etc.

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 10:03 AM
      Hi,
      >Does anyone know the Czech term used for "imperial yellow" colour? I have
      found it in a text about a Chinese emperor. Of course, if I use just
      "zluta" no harm will be done. Is there any glossary of colours on the Web?
      TIA,
      Irena

      Hallo Irena,

      I believe this fascinating area has been covered well by Mr J. Peprnik in:
      Pojmenov�n� barev
      v angli�tin� a �e�tin�. Translatologica Pragensia II/I. 1986 (1988).
      439-452.

      I wonder if this is available
      at the JTP library, Otto <sheepish :)>

      The really awkward end of the spectrum seems to me to be the purplish bit
      (covering
      nachovy, purpurovy, brunatny?), lilac (= jasne fialovy?) and mauve (slezovy,
      lilovy, slabe
      nafialovely?)
      My guess is "cisarska zlut" or "imperatorska zlut"

      I'd say this is not so much a matter of an established colour name as a
      reference to the fact that yellow was always considered the imperial colour
      in China (a quick search on Google using the keywords "yellow" and
      "imperial colo(u)r" provides plenty of confirmation as does Brewer's
      Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - and I couldn't find any references to it
      outside the Chinese context - still, it must be an established phrase for
      some sinologist somewhere):

      "Since the color associated with earth is yellow, the Han emperors adopted
      yellow as their
      imperial color. With the overthrow of the Han by Wang Mang, the former model
      was adopted
      and lasted as the standard model to this day."

      "Yellow is the imperial color, expressing the specific joy associated with
      attainment and
      fulfillment."
      There is a list of the basic colours used for HTML documents (you know the
      kind of thing
      where goose-turd green is called something like "verdant" and that nasty
      sickly blue colour is
      called "azure" or something silly like that:)) with Czech equivalents at

      http://www.ff.cuni.cz/~zvanovec/html.htm

      And I am sure I have seen a Czech translation of 256 officially-named shades
      and hues
      used in HTML code out there somewhere but cannot put my finger on it at the
      moment. Can
      anybody help???

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com