Re: [Czechlist] Term: imperial yellow etc.

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2000
      I am just guessing: "kralovska zluta" nebo "cisarska zluta", but it´s just my guess.

      Kostas

      Hi,
      Does anyone know the Czech term used  for "imperial yellow" colour? I have found it   in a text about a Chinese emperor. Of course, if I use just "zluta" no harm will be done. Is there any glossary of colours on the Web?
      TIA,
      Irena

      Czech<>English translation resources page:

      Czechlist archives:
      http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist

      Czechlist homepage:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist

      Community email addresses:
        Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
        Subscribe:    Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
        Digest:       Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2000
        Hi,
        >Does anyone know the Czech term used for "imperial yellow" colour? I have
        found it in a text about a Chinese emperor. Of course, if I use just
        "zluta" no harm will be done. Is there any glossary of colours on the Web?
        TIA,
        Irena

        Hallo Irena,

        I believe this fascinating area has been covered well by Mr J. Peprnik in:
        Pojmenov�n� barev
        v angli�tin� a �e�tin�. Translatologica Pragensia II/I. 1986 (1988).
        439-452.

        I wonder if this is available
        at the JTP library, Otto <sheepish :)>

        The really awkward end of the spectrum seems to me to be the purplish bit
        (covering
        nachovy, purpurovy, brunatny?), lilac (= jasne fialovy?) and mauve (slezovy,
        lilovy, slabe
        nafialovely?)
        My guess is "cisarska zlut" or "imperatorska zlut"

        I'd say this is not so much a matter of an established colour name as a
        reference to the fact that yellow was always considered the imperial colour
        in China (a quick search on Google using the keywords "yellow" and
        "imperial colo(u)r" provides plenty of confirmation as does Brewer's
        Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - and I couldn't find any references to it
        outside the Chinese context - still, it must be an established phrase for
        some sinologist somewhere):

        "Since the color associated with earth is yellow, the Han emperors adopted
        yellow as their
        imperial color. With the overthrow of the Han by Wang Mang, the former model
        was adopted
        and lasted as the standard model to this day."

        "Yellow is the imperial color, expressing the specific joy associated with
        attainment and
        fulfillment."
        There is a list of the basic colours used for HTML documents (you know the
        kind of thing
        where goose-turd green is called something like "verdant" and that nasty
        sickly blue colour is
        called "azure" or something silly like that:)) with Czech equivalents at

        http://www.ff.cuni.cz/~zvanovec/html.htm

        And I am sure I have seen a Czech translation of 256 officially-named shades
        and hues
        used in HTML code out there somewhere but cannot put my finger on it at the
        moment. Can
        anybody help???

        Melvyn

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com