TERM: host mode & string functions

  • Joanna Rousseau (alias)
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hello,

      I have no idea (no dictionary available) what the appropriate Czech
      equivallent (if any) of each of these two computer-related terms
      could be.
      Many thanks to any technical expert around here who could possibly
      throw some light into the darkness.
      :-)
      Johanka
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Joanna Rousseau (alias)" <johanka_r@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have no idea (no dictionary available) what the appropriate Czech
        > equivallent (if any) of each of these two computer-related terms
        > could be.
        > Many thanks to any technical expert around here who could possibly
        > throw some light into the darkness.
        > :-)
        > Johanka

        I'm no expert but I do have an antique Minihofer Kratochvilova slovnik
        vypocetni techniky (1990!!!), which says:

        Host mode = zakladni rezim
        String function = Retezcova funkce

        M.
      • Petr Jarol�m
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
          These are 100per cent correct terms (if one can be sure at least with
          something)
          host mode = hostitelsky rezim
          string function = retezcova funkce
          Hana

          > I have no idea (no dictionary available) what the appropriate Czech
          > equivallent (if any) of each of these two computer-related terms
          > could be.
          > Many thanks to any technical expert around here who could possibly
          > throw some light into the darkness.
          > :-)
          > Johanka

        • Miroslav Herold
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            Hi Johanka,

            both possible translations offered in previous messages are substantially
            correct, however, what counts is context. Necessary explanation: host is in
            LAN context hostitelsky pocitac, in WAn context it is uzel, at least in IBM
            networks. In Internet context it may be either uzel or server. So the
            technically correct translation depends heavily upon context of the whole
            paper.
            The same goes for retezcova funkce. This translation is correct as long as
            you are in BASIC context (=programming language e.g. in MS Office).
            If you are in RDBS context it might be something else - modul (funkce)
            zpracovavajici znakove retezce - this is just one instance.
            Unless there is at least some context, there is no safe translation without
            a danger of misled reader, if context-insensitive translation is used.

            BR

            Mirek

            Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

            tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
            tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
            mobil: 0606 865870
            Pøedmìt: Re: [Czechlist] TERM: host mode & string functions