Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Pacific Rim and Czech-ia, -lands....etc.

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
      <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

      > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
      > a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
      > suggestions.

      How about "Czechland" (to rhyme with "England" or "Scotland", not
      "Swaziland" or "Disneyland").

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        > On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
        > <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
        >
        > > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
        > > a nice ring to it

        Why blame the Scandinavians? Even the Czech Ministry of Foreign
        Affairs has decided that this is the 'official' English translation of
        Cesko (see archives).

        --- In Czechlist@y..., Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
        > Aaaarrrghhh!!!
        > Michael

        Perhaps I should explain to newcomers that at least once a year we all
        taunt Michael with the C word until he exclaims 'an abominable and
        dysphonic neologism', 'no place in the English language' and worse. :)

        M.
        P.S. Sure it goes against all precepts of euphony. That's why I like
        it. I mean we can hardly start calling it Czeshire now, can we?
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
          I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us as a new county then? That would be a nice shortcut to EU membership!

          Cheers!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
            > I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us
            as a new county then?

            I'm afraid Rushire is ahead of you in the queue.