Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Pacific Rim and Czech-ia, -lands....etc.

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
      <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

      > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
      > a nice ring to it

      Aaaarrrghhh!!!
      Michael
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

        > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
        > a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
        > suggestions.

        How about "Czechland" (to rhyme with "England" or "Scotland", not
        "Swaziland" or "Disneyland").

      • zehrovak@dr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          > On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
          > <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
          >
          > > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
          > > a nice ring to it

          Why blame the Scandinavians? Even the Czech Ministry of Foreign
          Affairs has decided that this is the 'official' English translation of
          Cesko (see archives).

          --- In Czechlist@y..., Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
          > Aaaarrrghhh!!!
          > Michael

          Perhaps I should explain to newcomers that at least once a year we all
          taunt Michael with the C word until he exclaims 'an abominable and
          dysphonic neologism', 'no place in the English language' and worse. :)

          M.
          P.S. Sure it goes against all precepts of euphony. That's why I like
          it. I mean we can hardly start calling it Czeshire now, can we?
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
            I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us as a new county then? That would be a nice shortcut to EU membership!

            Cheers!

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
              --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
              > I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us
              as a new county then?

              I'm afraid Rushire is ahead of you in the queue.