Cheskia

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001
      Coilin,

      > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
      > a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
      > suggestions.

      You're reopening a can of worms here, Coilin: for previous emotive
      discussions on this topic, consult the archives (where you'll discover
      that Jamie has a thing or two to say against 'Czechia').

      'Cheskia' would be my choice...

      A back-formation from 'Cheskian' (an older English word for 'Czech'),
      which is clearly based on 'cesky', this dispenses with the Polish 'cz' and
      the difficult (for most English-speakers) 'ch'. It is fully Anglicized,
      and, what's more, it is pleasing to both eye and ear.

      Simon