Re: [Czechlist] Conservation Grade

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      > Unfortunately I don't have a packet of Jordan's cereal in the flat
      > at the moment, but I seem to remember that the unaltered
      > English phrase 'Conservation Grade' appears in all translations
      > on the packet except those into non-Roman scripts.

      Just back from a shopping expedition to Tesco. Well, it seems
      'Conservation Grade' is used in the Greek and (judging by the use of
      katakana [the script that's used for transliterating words of foreign
      origin] at one point) the Japanese translations as well. I don't know
      about the Arabic. There is no Czech translation on the box, only on an
      attached sticker; this, however, does not include the 'Conservation Grade'
      guff.

      We're from Cesko,
      We shop at Tesco
      (To be chanted at sporting occasions)

      Simon
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Just back from a shopping expedition to Tesco. Well, it
        > seems 'Conservation Grade' is used in the Greek and
        > (judging by the use of katakana [the script that's used
        > for transliterating words of foreign origin] at one point)
        > the Japanese translations as well.

        I should just add that what I meant here was that the _English_ phrase is
        used in the translations, i.e. the phrase isn't translated. In the Greek,
        it's written in Roman script; in the Japanese, transliterated. But in no
        case is it actually translated.

        Simon
      • Jan Nechanicky
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
          Thanks a lot Simon for all your effort, I hope you did not go to Tesco
          because of me incurring some expense in the process.
          Kind Regards
          Honza
          --
          Jan Nechanicky MIL

          For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

          CZECH IT OUT Translations
          Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
          TEL 020 7833 0649
          59 Clare Court, Judd Street