Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Pacific Rim and Czech-ia, -lands....etc.

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      > While we are at it, I hope I don't piss people off by saying Czecho in my
      Czechlist contributions?

      Not at all Matej.

      BTW, FWIW, "Czecho" is the term used by John Le Carré´s characters to
      describe what is now the Czech Republic in two of his espionage novels from
      the 70s and 80s ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "A Perfect Spy").

      To be honest, I had actually thought you might have picked up the expression
      from reading one of hís novels.

      I think as we get used to the idea of the Czech Republic´s being a separate
      entity, we might have to decide on a more simple "one-word" denomination for
      it in English. I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
      a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
      suggestions.

      Best regards

      Coilin
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Nobody said you desecrated anything - I was trying to explain
        > why the word didn't seem good to me,...

        You said that you didn't like the word, but you couldn't explain why.

        > While we are at it, I hope I don't piss people off by saying Czecho
        > in my Czechlist contributions?

        You don't piss me off, but I would say that 'Czecho' is decidedly less
        English than 'Potichomori' is Czech. :-)

        Thanks, Kostas, for you message.

        Simon
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
          <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

          > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
          > a nice ring to it

          Aaaarrrghhh!!!
          Michael
          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
            <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

            > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
            > a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
            > suggestions.

            How about "Czechland" (to rhyme with "England" or "Scotland", not
            "Swaziland" or "Disneyland").

          • zehrovak@dr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
              > On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
              > <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
              >
              > > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
              > > a nice ring to it

              Why blame the Scandinavians? Even the Czech Ministry of Foreign
              Affairs has decided that this is the 'official' English translation of
              Cesko (see archives).

              --- In Czechlist@y..., Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
              > Aaaarrrghhh!!!
              > Michael

              Perhaps I should explain to newcomers that at least once a year we all
              taunt Michael with the C word until he exclaims 'an abominable and
              dysphonic neologism', 'no place in the English language' and worse. :)

              M.
              P.S. Sure it goes against all precepts of euphony. That's why I like
              it. I mean we can hardly start calling it Czeshire now, can we?
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us as a new county then? That would be a nice shortcut to EU membership!

                Cheers!

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                  --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
                  > I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us
                  as a new county then?

                  I'm afraid Rushire is ahead of you in the queue.