Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Pacific Rim and Czech-ia, -lands....etc.

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi Simon,

      > suggestion as a question.) But I don't think I desecrated the language
      > with 'Potichomori', and sympathetic explanations of where I went wrong
      > would have been useful to me than merely dismissive comments.

      Nobody said you desecrated anything - I was trying to explain why the word
      didn't seem good to me, but it was difficult, as we're talking feelings
      here.....

      I'm usually quite happy accepting new things in Czech, as long as they make
      sense and are used correctly,
      for example Cesko sounds perfectly good to me and I'm happy to use it in
      informal to semi-formal context....

      My German is rather poor, but I don't have a problem with Tschechei
      either... I know it used to be the nazzi term (because that was the first
      time we split up with Slovakia and there had to be a name...), but I think
      that connotation is no longer true and ayway, what the person is saying
      about the country is more important than how they are calling it, I've heard
      quite a few Germans saying very um-PC things about Cesko while they were
      calling it Tschechien or Tschechische (sp?) Republik.......

      While we are at it, I hope I don't piss people off by saying Czecho in my
      Czechlist contributions?

      Matej
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        > While we are at it, I hope I don't piss people off by saying Czecho in my
        Czechlist contributions?

        Not at all Matej.

        BTW, FWIW, "Czecho" is the term used by John Le Carré´s characters to
        describe what is now the Czech Republic in two of his espionage novels from
        the 70s and 80s ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "A Perfect Spy").

        To be honest, I had actually thought you might have picked up the expression
        from reading one of hís novels.

        I think as we get used to the idea of the Czech Republic´s being a separate
        entity, we might have to decide on a more simple "one-word" denomination for
        it in English. I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
        a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
        suggestions.

        Best regards

        Coilin
      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          > Nobody said you desecrated anything - I was trying to explain
          > why the word didn't seem good to me,...

          You said that you didn't like the word, but you couldn't explain why.

          > While we are at it, I hope I don't piss people off by saying Czecho
          > in my Czechlist contributions?

          You don't piss me off, but I would say that 'Czecho' is decidedly less
          English than 'Potichomori' is Czech. :-)

          Thanks, Kostas, for you message.

          Simon
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
            On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
            <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

            > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
            > a nice ring to it

            Aaaarrrghhh!!!
            Michael
            Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
              <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

              > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
              > a nice ring to it, although I´d be interested in hearing any other
              > suggestions.

              How about "Czechland" (to rhyme with "England" or "Scotland", not
              "Swaziland" or "Disneyland").

            • zehrovak@dr.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
                > On 11/1/2001 7:00, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
                > <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
                >
                > > I personally think the Scandinavian expression "Czechia" has
                > > a nice ring to it

                Why blame the Scandinavians? Even the Czech Ministry of Foreign
                Affairs has decided that this is the 'official' English translation of
                Cesko (see archives).

                --- In Czechlist@y..., Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:
                > Aaaarrrghhh!!!
                > Michael

                Perhaps I should explain to newcomers that at least once a year we all
                taunt Michael with the C word until he exclaims 'an abominable and
                dysphonic neologism', 'no place in the English language' and worse. :)

                M.
                P.S. Sure it goes against all precepts of euphony. That's why I like
                it. I mean we can hardly start calling it Czeshire now, can we?
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                  I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us as a new county then? That would be a nice shortcut to EU membership!

                  Cheers!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
                    > I would definitely go for Czeshire. Do you think UK could accept us
                    as a new county then?

                    I'm afraid Rushire is ahead of you in the queue.