TERM: maloodberatel

  • Irena Steinerova
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi all,
      Could anyone give me a good English equivalent for "maloodberatel" (plynu), as opposed to "velkoodberatel" (which is supposed to be a "major consumer", according to the Dictionary for Power-engineers and Electricians"?

      Many thanks in advance!

      Irena

    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Irena Steinerova" <irena.steinerova@w...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Could anyone give me a good English equivalent for "maloodberatel"
        (plynu), as opposed to "velkoodberatel" (which is supposed to be a
        "major consumer", according to the Dictionary for Power-engineers and
        Electricians"?

        > Many thanks in advance!
        >
        > Irena

        I'd just use 'small consumers', myself. You'll also get a few hits on
        the search engines for 'small-scale consumers'. BTW you will often
        hear of 'domestic consumers' and '(small) retail consumers' too but I
        reckon 'small consumers' covers everything nicely and doesn't look bad
        in contrast to 'major consumers'.

        Bit busy at the moment. Will respond to other mail in due course.

        M.
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
          > I'd just use 'small consumers', myself. You'll also get a few hits on
          > the search engines for 'small-scale consumers'. BTW you will often
          > hear of 'domestic consumers' and '(small) retail consumers' too but I
          > reckon 'small consumers' covers everything nicely and doesn't look bad
          > in contrast to 'major consumers'.

          I´ve also heard the expression "household consumers".

          I agree with Melvyn that "small consumers" probably covers everything, but
          it just sounds a little odd to me (and makes me think of consumers who are
          only five feet tall or something).

          Perhaps, you could use a phrase like "household or retail consumer" to
          encapsulate the concept of a maloodberatel?

          Just a thought.

          best regards

          Coilin
        • Irena Steinerova
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
            Melvyn and Coilin,
            Thanks for your prompt reply!

            >I agree with Melvyn that "small consumers" probably covers everything, but
            >it just sounds a little odd to me (and makes me think of consumers who are
            >only five feet tall or something).
            >
            >Perhaps, you could use a phrase like "household or retail consumer" to
            >encapsulate the concept of a maloodberatel?

            I guess I should've said that there is another category of consumers
            mentioned in my text, which is "domacnost" (and which is supposed to be
            different from "maloodberatel").
            I think I will stick with Melvyn's "small consumers" then to make a
            distinction between those two categories.
            Thanks again,
            Irena

            -

            >> I'd just use 'small consumers', myself. You'll also get a few hits on
            >> the search engines for 'small-scale consumers'. BTW you will often
            >> hear of 'domestic consumers' and '(small) retail consumers' too but I
            >> reckon 'small consumers' covers everything nicely and doesn't look bad
            >> in contrast to 'major consumers'.
            >
            >I´ve also heard the expression "household consumers".

          • Petr Jarolím
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2001
              Very smart solution:
              domacnost - domestic customer
              maloodberatel - commercial customer
              velkoodberatel - industrial customer
              By the way these are used not only in gas industry. They are frequent in
              water/sewage industries and distribution of electricity or heating.
              Hana

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2001

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2001
                  > Sorry for this unprompt reply, but I'm receiving these messages in digest
                  > form at the moment in an attempt to keep my in-box under control.

                  You can have the Czechlist messages come into a special folder in inbox by
                  making a message rule that says anything that comes from the Czechlist
                  address should go to that folder - that way you get all messages as they
                  come in and keep them separate from normal mail.....

                  And yes, gas industry (along with electricity and anything else to do with
                  energy) is under close surveillance by Western companies as the Czech
                  government prepares to sell its shares in them and fill the political
                  parties' bank accounts with bribes once again........glad I know where my
                  gas bill money is going.....

                  Matej