Re: [Czechlist] Conservation Grade

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      > Does any Czech expression exist for the above?

      Unfortunately I don't have a packet of Jordan's cereal in the flat at the
      moment, but I seem to remember that the unaltered English phrase
      'Conservation Grade' appears in all translations on the packet except
      those into non-Roman scripts.

      Simon
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Unfortunately I don't have a packet of Jordan's cereal in the flat
        > at the moment, but I seem to remember that the unaltered
        > English phrase 'Conservation Grade' appears in all translations
        > on the packet except those into non-Roman scripts.

        Just back from a shopping expedition to Tesco. Well, it seems
        'Conservation Grade' is used in the Greek and (judging by the use of
        katakana [the script that's used for transliterating words of foreign
        origin] at one point) the Japanese translations as well. I don't know
        about the Arabic. There is no Czech translation on the box, only on an
        attached sticker; this, however, does not include the 'Conservation Grade'
        guff.

        We're from Cesko,
        We shop at Tesco
        (To be chanted at sporting occasions)

        Simon
      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          > Just back from a shopping expedition to Tesco. Well, it
          > seems 'Conservation Grade' is used in the Greek and
          > (judging by the use of katakana [the script that's used
          > for transliterating words of foreign origin] at one point)
          > the Japanese translations as well.

          I should just add that what I meant here was that the _English_ phrase is
          used in the translations, i.e. the phrase isn't translated. In the Greek,
          it's written in Roman script; in the Japanese, transliterated. But in no
          case is it actually translated.

          Simon
        • Jan Nechanicky
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            Hello all
            I have come across this expresion in an Ingredients list - Conservation
            Grade Rolled Oats.
            The website
            http://www.jordans-cereals.co.uk/10folder/10content/12a.htm
            says:
            For the last thirteen years, we have also supported Conservation Grade,
            a non-intensive, accountable system of farming that is second only to
            organic farming.
            This standard has allowed us to ensure we get the best quality
            ingredients from the point at which they are grown right through to
            storage and production. Conservation Grade standards are set by the
            Guild of Conservation Grade Producers. Conservation Grade products are
            grown using all of the best traditional methods, combined with a few
            specially selected safe modern practices. In addition farmers are
            assessed on their positive contribution to conservation, including the
            encouragement of wildlife, as well as care for woodlands, ponds and
            hedgerows.

            Does any Czech expression exist for the above?
            Cheers
            Honza
            --
            Jan Nechanicky MIL

            For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

            CZECH IT OUT Translations
            Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
            TEL 020 7833 0649
            59 Clare Court, Judd Street