TERM Korenice

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
      Dear All

      Can anyone help with the English and/or the scientific binomial for
      'korˇenice'?It appears in a long list of woods used for veneers and appears
      to be some kind of 'light maple'.

      Best

      Tony
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
        Tony Long wrote:

        > Can anyone help with the English and/or the scientific binomial for
        > 'korˇenice'?It appears in a long list of woods used for veneers and
        appears
        > to be some kind of 'light maple'.

        Dunno if it's of any help, but this is what the "Slovnik spisovneho jazyka
        ceskeho" says about "korenice":

        'dr^evo z kor^enu' nebo z c^a'sti' kmene u kor^ene s letovy'mi kruhy v
        ru'znych sme^rech stoc^eny'mi a zprohy'bany'mi a s nestejny'm zbarveni'm'

        example usage: 'jilmova', or^echova', mahagonova' kor^enice; na'bytek z
        les^te^ne' kor^enice'

        Hey, http://slovnik.seznam.cz yields <curly grain wood>.

        Jirka Bolech
      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
          > > Can anyone help with the English and/or the scientific binomial for
          > > 'korˇenice'? It appears in a long list of woods used for veneers and
          > > appears to be some kind of 'light maple'.
          >
          > Dunno if it's of any help, but this is what the "Slovnik spisovneho
          > jazyka ceskeho" says about "korenice":
          >
          > 'dr^evo z kor^enu' nebo z c^a'sti' kmene u kor^ene s letovy'mi kruhy v
          > ru'znych sme^rech stoc^eny'mi a zprohy'bany'mi a s nestejny'm
          > zbarveni'm'
          >
          > example usage: 'jilmova', or^echova', mahagonova' kor^enice; na'bytek z
          > les^te^ne' kor^enice'
          >
          > Hey, http://slovnik.seznam.cz yields <curly grain wood>.

          If this curled stumpwood is a light maple, perhaps it's sugar maple (Acer
          saccharum), otherwise known as curly maple?

          Simon
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
            Hi,

            why just curly maple every tree root is curled.

            Sarka

            > > Can anyone help with the English and/or the scientific binomial for
            > > 'korˇenice'? It appears in a long list of woods used for veneers and
            > > appears to be some kind of 'light maple'.
            >
            > Dunno if it's of any help, but this is what the "Slovnik spisovneho
            > jazyka ceskeho" says about "korenice":
            >
            > 'dr^evo z kor^enu' nebo z c^a'sti' kmene u kor^ene s letovy'mi kruhy v
            > ru'znych sme^rech stoc^eny'mi a zprohy'bany'mi a s nestejny'm
            > zbarveni'm'
            >
            > example usage: 'jilmova', or^echova', mahagonova' kor^enice; na'bytek z
            > les^te^ne' kor^enice'
            >
            > Hey, http://slovnik.seznam.cz yields <curly grain wood>.

            If this curled stumpwood is a light maple, perhaps it's sugar maple (Acer
            saccharum), otherwise known as curly maple?

            Simon

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
              > > > Can anyone help with the English and/or the scientific binomial
              for 'kor·enice'? It appears in a long list of woods used for veneers
              and appears to be some kind of 'light maple'.

              > > example usage: 'jilmova', or^echova', mahagonova' kor^enice

              > If this curled stumpwood is a light maple, perhaps it's sugar maple
              (Acer saccharum), otherwise known as curly maple?

              That's probably a good species designation, assuming the original is
              indeed maple and light. (There's also curly soft maple, which is red
              maple, Acer ruburm.) The problem here is that a woodworker or veneer
              worker doesn't care just about the species; he also cares about the
              figure. Specifying the species alone is insufficient.

              Bird's-eye maple is also from sugar maple, a/k/a curly maple, a/k/a
              Acer saccharum. But if I order birds-eye and you deliver *only*
              sugar or curly, I won't pay, or I might sue you for breaking your
              promise. Bird's eye refers to the figure on top of the species.
              Ditto for, say, "quilted" maple. That's also sugar. But I guarantee
              you that prices for quilted maple veneer are higher than for just any
              old sugar maple veneer.

              So a binomical can't identify curly maple as such. Curly maple means
              sugar (rock) maple with a curly figure. Maple isn't the only wood
              that the curly figure comes in. There can also be curly cherry, for
              example. The "curly" figure is sometimes called "fiddleback,"
              because that's a typical, attractive use. Some people claim a
              difference between fiddleback and curly; we don't need to go there.
              The point is that curly, birds-eye, and plain are all three the same
              species; but they aren't the same veneers.

              My main doubt at this point, from the definition in the Slovnik
              spisovne cestiny, is whether burl isn't the figure they mean. Burl
              is obtained from burls (in species which have them often; maples
              don't much) and from roots. Doing a search on "burl curly bird's eye
              cherry maple" found, among other pages, the following:
              http://www.certainlywood.com/figureTypes.html. Maybe looking at some
              of the samples there might help.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                When I said that maples don't have burls much, I should have been
                more clear. I meant in relative terms of how often one sees burls in
                them compared to other trees when just walking along in the forest.
                In oaks, a lot. In maples, less often. Obviously, they exist.

                Mea culpa.
              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                  > why just curly maple every tree root is curled.

                  I know the Czech word 'korenice' does not refer to a specific tree.
                  However, Tony obviously had a reason for thinking the wood was a light
                  maple, and so I suggested a likely light maple in case he was still
                  looking to identify the wood more closely. Of course, it could be another
                  genus altogether. But maple is a strong contender, as it is noted for its
                  curliness. The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary's fourth definition
                  of 'curled' goes as follows: 'Of wood, esp. maple: having a wavy or curly
                  grain'.

                  By the way, Sarka, a space alone won't do to separate sentences.

                  Simon
                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                    Following up, if the figure *is* burl instead of curly, it might not
                    necessarily be sugar maple. If from N.A., it could also be big leaf
                    maple, Acer macrophyllum.

                    "Bigleaf maple is locally significant in British Columbia for the
                    manufacture of furniture, musical instruments, interior panelling,
                    and other select uses such as large bowls turned from maple burls "
                    http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Mr/Mr090/Mr090-2.pdf

                    "Clusters of round curls that grow into balls on the sides of trees,
                    are known as burls. They are common in the big leaf maple of the west
                    coast."
                    http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/mapleinfo.htm

                    "Big leaf maple (Acer macrophyllum), also known as Pacific or Oregon
                    maple, grows in the Pacific Northwest and is one of the softest of
                    the maples. Maple burl has elegant and interesting swirled grain
                    patterns, often combined with various forms of quilting and bird's
                    eyes."
                    http://tigerlilyworkshop.com/Woodcat/Wood-id.html

                    "Hundreds of tons of burls from redwood, myrtlewood, madrone, and
                    western maple are exported annually from Oregon to France and Italy."
                    http://newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/600-699/nb629.htm
                  • Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                      "Following up, if the figure *is* burl instead of curly, it might not
                      necessarily be sugar maple. If from N.A., it could also be big leaf
                      maple, Acer macrophyllus

                      Yesterdasy I talked with somebody, who knows quite a lot from this field and
                      he told me that "kor^enice" had origanally be just one type of wood only and
                      it was wood from tree (or was it a big shrub - I don't know) called in Czech
                      vr^esovec.
                      Does any you know name of it in English?

                      Sarka

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                        >> why just curly maple every tree root is curled.

                        > I know the Czech word 'korenice' does not refer to a specific tree.
                        However, Tony obviously had a reason for thinking the wood was a light
                        maple, and so I suggested a likely light maple in case he was still
                        looking to identify the wood more closely. Of course, it could be another
                        genus altogether. But maple is a strong contender, as it is noted for its
                        curliness. The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary's fourth definition
                        of 'curled' goes as follows: 'Of wood, esp. maple: having a wavy or curly
                        grain'.

                        > By the way, Sarka, a space alone won't do to separate sentences.

                        Simon

                        I am sorry Simon, I'do better next time.

                        Sarka

                        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
                          > Yesterdasy I talked with somebody, who knows quite a lot from this field
                          and
                          > he told me that "kor^enice" had origanally be just one type of wood only
                          and
                          > it was wood from tree (or was it a big shrub - I don't know) called in
                          Czech
                          > vr^esovec.
                          > Does any you know name of it in English?

                          It's the wood (smoking) pipes are made of, erica or bell-heather according
                          to one of my dictionaries, but I can't see anyone making veneer out of it
                          and using it to meake furniture.....

                          The idea of korenice meaning any veneer that looks like it's made of roots
                          makes more sense to me.....

                          Matej

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
                            > vr^esovec.
                            > Does any you know name of it in English?

                            heath

                            Jirka Bolech
                          • Simon Vaughan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
                              > > By the way, Sarka, a space alone won't do to separate sentences.
                              >
                              > I am sorry Simon, I'do better next time.

                              Hmm. Yes, well, I'll try and do better next time I come to coin a Czech
                              word.

                              Simon