Re: [Czechlist] RE: Ms Femaleova - and names of cities

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2000
      Hi Michael,
      you may be right in the US. Taking into account the knowledge of geography
      of an average US citizen, it does not matter if I say Praha or Athens. But
      within the Old Continent I assume that one lemma holds: When in Rome, do as
      the Romans do.

      Cheers
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 536549
      mobil: 0606 865870
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26, 2000
        >you may be right in the US. Taking into account the knowledge of geography
        >of an average US citizen, it does not matter if I say Praha or Athens. But
        >within the Old Continent I assume that one lemma holds: When in Rome, do as
        >the Romans do.

        Has nothing to do with American knowledge of geography or lack
        thereof. I'm talking about usage among native English-speakers who
        have dealings with and knowledge of the Czech Republic and Prague.
        Wouldn't you lift an eyebrow if you saw "München" instead of
        "Mnichov" or "Wien" instead of "Viden'" in a Czech text? Prague has a
        specific name in English, like many other European cities, and I'm
        not aware of any good reason to use anything else.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
          Prague has a
          > specific name in English, like many other European cities, and I'm
          > not aware of any good reason to use anything else.
          >
          > Michael

          Right. An example - the famous small town of Prague in Oklahoma.

          Kostas
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
            >Right. An example - the famous small town of Prague in Oklahoma.

            Not to be confused with Praha, Texas.
            Michael
            muddying the waters...
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
              > >Right. An example - the famous small town of Prague in Oklahoma.
              >
              > Not to be confused with Praha, Texas.
              > Michael
              > muddying the waters...

              Really? Is it how it is spelled? How do they pronounce it?

              Kostas
            • Kostas Zgafas
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
                Honestly, I've grown to like Praha in my
                > > tranlations more than French-spelled Prague. Opinions welcome!
                >
                > I do second you with this. I hardly ever use Prague (with the exception of
                > an express client wish).

                Another thing is that many people do not realize how little is the general
                consciousness of the CR in the West, most probably due to almost half
                century when the CR was split apart from the Western word behind the Iron
                Curtain. By using "Prague" you are helping to change such situation a little
                bit by pushing it more to the general international consciousness (in
                long-term view).

                Kostas
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
                  > > Not to be confused with Praha, Texas.
                  > > Michael
                  > > muddying the waters...
                  >
                  >Really? Is it how it is spelled? How do they pronounce it?

                  Spelled just like that, and pronounced more or less like that other
                  Praha over there east of Germany somewhere (with an American "r" of
                  course). It's a tiny place, not much more than a road intersection
                  and a gas station.