Re: [Czechlist] zruseneho hrbitova

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
      Suggestions:

      In a message dated 10/21/01 11:22:34 AM, tonylong@... writes:

      >I think I've made the classic mistake of trying for one word when several
      >could apply, depending on context. As usual, the problem is that I have
      >neither the pictures nor a complete history of all the cemeteries. The term
      >appears about thirty times in the text, another twenty in the captions,

      Always an unenviable situation.

      >referring to Jewish cemeteries in Moravia that have been closed by
      >authorities old and new for more or less racist reasons,

      I'd call that a closed cemetery. You could even call it a cemetery padlocked
      by the authorities, or an officially padlocked cemetery.

      >fallen out of use
      >because their potential occupants have been disposed of in entirely less
      >formal fashion (making ''abandoned'' a little callous),

      No word for that one. I'd just call it an unmaintained cemetery, or I'd
      describe the situation.

      >or simply (and
      >accurately speaking) abandoned because the surviving Jewish community has
      >become too small to maintain them.

      A neglected cemetery.

      >Some have been built over, others turned
      >into parks,

      A converted cemetery.

      >and still others exist in a derelict state but are closed to
      >use.

      A closed cemetery.

      >I think it's back to the author for potted histories, followed by phrases
      >such as 'cemetery closed by the [authorities] in [year]', or 'derelict
      >since [year]' and so on.

      Better hope he knows. :-)

      >Thanks for the thoughts

      My pleasure.