RE: TERM zruseneho hrbitova

  • Vollams
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2001
      Hi Tony,

      It's a bit of an oversimplification, but how about "disused"? Or "abandoned?

      As for "idealni", my boss at CTK used to say: "if in doubt, leave it out".

      Simon

      Still wandering through a massive text on Jewish religious remnants in
      Moravia, and worried by a couple of terms. One of them, not irrelevant to
      our discussion on single-word terms, is 'Památník zrušeného hřbitova'. Looks
      easy until you remember that 'abolish' ceased to be used for anything
      concrete several hundred years ago. 'Abolished cemetery' feels wrong to me.
      The meaning, of course, is something like 'forcibly deconsecrated and
      further use banned' but that's just plain clumsy. Any more succinct ideas?

      Easier, but still generating some very awkward solutions in my mind, is
      'Ideální plán' [e.g. of židovské čtvrti]. It's everywhere in the captions
      and I'm seriously considering just dropping it and saying 'Plan' because
      there's very little to contrast it with - comments?

      Thanks and best

      Tony