Re: [Czechlist] Re: Ms Femaleova

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 7:17 AM
      And since you feel
      >like it is a possessive case, do you, or anyone else, think that
      >given this is really a strong proof of male supremacy over our
      >females. Could any Yankee ;-) profess his/her opinion on this?

      Howdy y'all - a belated welcome to the list to you Martin K. and other
      newcomers.

      >I've always thought that this would be the biggest trump in the hands of
      >Czech feminists.
      But their apparent timidity doesn't seem to bring it up.

      I know a lady who works at the Centre for Gender Studies at the
      Philosophical Faculty (or
      should I say Faculty of Liberal Arts?) at Charles University (Centrum pro
      studia rodu pri FF
      UK) who insists on dropping the "ova" for foreign names (though she can
      still be caught out
      saying "Thatcherova"). She says she follows the practice of her parents who
      - like many
      academics at the time of the First Republic - used titles such as "pani
      doktor" and dropped
      the "ova" for foreign names but this seems to have been considered affected
      by many, so I am told, and
      died out after WWII. Anyway, apparently even the women at this centre are
      split on this
      (non-)issue, and on the rare occasions when I have brought it up with other
      lady friends here, I
      usually get told that they have more important things to bloody worry about
      and isn't it about
      time I started ironing my own shirts?

      I have a theory. Maybe in comparison with our continental cousins, we
      Anglo-Saxons are
      just a bit too hung-up about the supposed hidden power of words over our
      perception - we are haunted by a
      word's etymology, we look for deep implicit meanings in the origins of words
      which we fear might have some kind of subliminal effect on our perception
      whereas
      many continentals including Czechs have more of a knack of divorcing the
      present-day usage of a word from its past meaning and other associations
      (maybe inspired in part by their separation of real gender from grammatical
      gender??:)). This would explain, for example, how
      people can accept names like Fokker (or Soustek) without batting an eyelid.
      Likewise the "ova" looks like a possessive form, but why worry? It's only
      history.

      Pretty cool theory huh?

      Some other points:
      Vlad:
      >admittedly, I may sound old-fashined, but why not bring our name endings
      >with us when moving abroad

      Interesting use of "our":)

      >Gosh, Melvyn, how are they gonna tell us apart? Do you wear glasses, too?

      I can do a passable Buddy Holly impersonation with my 25-year old National
      Health Service
      specs - but that's all I actually wear them for. How about getting a double
      act together? "You
      say tomaydo and I say tomahto etc...":)

      Melvyn