Re: Mrs Kozlowski

  • Adamek Petr
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      Hi,
      The Polish suffix -ski has its counterpart -sky in the Czech language and it is a masculine ending of adjectives. The feminine form is -ska: muj cesky otec a ceska matka - my Czech father and Czech mother. Kozlovsky may be a man stemming from a place named Kozlov (Goattown), his wife Kozlovska is a woman stemming from Kozlov. A woman named Kozlovsky is therefore nonsens from the Czech language point of view. This is why we consistently write Lewinska, although her driving licence bears the name Lewinski.
      And what about "yes sir, captain, sir" (to a woman officer?).
      Peter