Re: [Czechlist] Ms. Femaleova

  • krupikm@st.skm.vutbr.cz, _=F8e=E8en=FD_b
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25 4:56 AM
      > To: <Czechlist@egroups.com>
      > From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>
      > Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 02:17:16 +0200
      > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] Ms. Femaleova

      > What do you think about automatic adding "ova" to English female last names
      > by Czechs? Don´t you think that it is somehow "acquisitory"?

      Hello,
      I've always thought that this would be the biggest trump in the
      hands of Czech feminists. But their apparent timidity doesn't seem to
      bring it up. When I think of it it really does remind me of the
      possesive case which only later became lengthened [ the final "-a" in
      -ová ]. Could anyone of you enlighten me on this? Is it really a
      remnant of possessive case or not?

      Also adding the ending is one many manifestations of
      domesticification of the text, in order not to make it sound as
      foreign. But where is the limit to which a translator should go? In
      one of the countless sitcoms on the Czech commercial TV I was told
      appeared an extreme case of domestification, in my opinion. It
      mentioned the name of the famous DIY-man, Mr. Podlaha. My girlfriend,
      who is a fan of this series, said that the first impression was
      misunderstanding, due to the meaning of his last name [floor],
      shortly on followed by a laugh, cut short by an aftermath of
      wonder at such an unusual degree of the aforementioned
      domestification.

      Drooling to read your views,
      is Martin.