Re: [Czechlist] TERM: B.V.

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
      > Does anybody know what this abbreviation of legal form of Dutch
      companies
      > mean? In Dutch it is: besloten vennootschap, if it could be of any
      help.

      Hi Tom,

      Try Google: BESLOTEN VENNOOTSCHAP = PRIVATE LIMITED COMPANY

      HTH,

      Rachel
    • Tomáš Skřont
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
        Does anybody know what this abbreviation of legal form of Dutch companies
        mean? In Dutch it is: besloten vennootschap, if it could be of any help.

        TIA for your effort,

        Tomas Skront
      • Tomáš Skřont
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
          Thanks, Rachel,

          I looked at Google and found this definition of B.V.:
          B.V. Neth. Besloten Vennootschap. Limited liability company. Capital of at
          least 40,000 NLG is required to start at BV.

          It means this should be "spolecnost s rucenim omezenym". In my text,
          however, they mention shareholders and shares several times. So, it is a
          dilema. Shall I translate it as "spolecnost s rucenim omezenym" (as Google
          suggests) or as "akciova spolecnost (as my text clearly defines)?

          Any help appreciated a lot,
          Tomas

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
            I've seen it used for s.r.o. (as an equivalent), for example when a Czech
            s.r.o. gives reference to its mother company, etc...

            I'd go for s.r.o.

            Is having a Ltd and shares really that contradictory? I'm not at all an
            expert in this, but have a feeling that (outside of Czecho) this might not
            be a problem...(?)

            Matej

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • zehrovak@dr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- In Czechlist@y..., Tomá¹ Skøont <skront@m...> wrote:

              > It means this should be "spolecnost s rucenim omezenym". In my text,
              > however, they mention shareholders and shares several times. So, it
              is a
              > dilema. Shall I translate it as "spolecnost s rucenim omezenym" (as
              Google
              > suggests)

              I'd say you should. I imagine they are using 'share' here to mean
              'podil' (normally translated in Trade Links FWIW as 'interest' or
              'business share', and 'shareholder' as a synonym for 'member' (TL:
              spolecnik). Here's another example from Belgium:

              http://www.gomlimburg.be/Private_Limited_Liability_Company.htm.

              A B.V.B.A. may be incorporated by one partner
              (Eenpersoons-B.V.B.A./E.B.V.B.A.), who must be a physical person, or
              by
              several partners (companies or individuals). The liability of the
              shareholders is limited to the amount of their contribution. A(n)
              (E.)B.V.B.A. is also established for an unlimited duration.

              Minimum Capital and Contributions
              The company must be incorporated with a minimum capital of BEF
              750,000, fully subscribed and paid up to BEF 250,000. Every
              share representing a contribution in cash must be paid up to at least
              20%. Shares representing contributions in kind must be fully
              paid up.
              Legal minimum reserve : 10 % of the statutory capital. A B.V.B.A. is
              not allowed to call on the capital market.

              Types of shares
              The capital must be divided in shares of equal face value (minimum BEF
              1,000). All shares represent the capital. They can be voting
              or non-voting.

              Transferability of Shares
              The transferability of the shares is limited : the transfer of the
              shares requires the approval of at least 50 % of the shareholders
              who own three-quarters of the capital, after deduction of the rights
              of the proposed transfer. The articles of association may restrict
              transferability even more.

              M.
            • Otto Pacholik
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                B.V. is well rendered in Czech as s.r.o.

                shares are podily or obchodni podily in this particular context and
                shareholders are spolecnici

                Don't forget Dutch law is closer to the Czech legal system than the
                English one and since you speak about a Dutch company it had to be
                translated from Dutch into English first.

                Otto
              • Tomás Skøont
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
                  Thanks for your effort, Otto, but your information is wrong this time
                  (likewise Matej's). I searched thouroughly at several sources. One of my
                  friends who works at an international consultant company explained to me
                  that there are no "spolecnosti s rucenim omezenym" in the Netherlands. There
                  are just two types of "akciova spolecnost": besloten vennootschap (BV) a
                  naamloze vennootschap (NV). Google only refers to besloten vennotschap as
                  "private limited company", which is, according to English-Czech Business
                  Dictionary by J.H.Adam, "soukroma akciova spolecnost" (akciova spolecnost,
                  ktera nesmi vyzyvat verejnost k upsani akcii nebo podilu a neumoznuje svym
                  clenum prevadet jejich akcie bez souhlasu ostatnich akcionaru. Musi mit
                  alespon dva, ale obvykle ne vice nez padesat clenu). It is an opposite to
                  namlooze vennootschap (NV), which is "public limited company" = verejná
                  akciová spolecnost.

                  Obviously, I do not know how BV is well rendered in Czech, but I think it is
                  rendered as s.r.o., as someone, who have not got much time for searching,
                  saw the word "LIMITED" (in private limited company) and, with no economic
                  background, translated the legal form as spolecnost s rucenim "OMEZENYM".
                  But we all know that this should be "limited liability company". I am sure
                  you know a lot of other examples of such chain "misunderstandings".

                  I started to search deeper after your message, as there was also the word
                  "Interest" in the definitions of the Foundation Contract I am translating
                  now. It would be weird to use two synonyms for one thing (podil) in one
                  document.

                  To sum up, I go for "soukroma akciova spolecnost", "akcie" a "akcionar".

                  Thanks again for your effort. It made me to think and search hard.

                  Tomas

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
                    Not knowing what exactly is required by the client in this job, I would,
                    generally, suggest leaving the original abbreviation in the name of the
                    company. and only perhaps, if at all, providing a whatever translation or
                    equivalent once with the first occurence in the document.

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • Tomás Skøont
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
                      Mily, Jirko,
                      nikdo se samozrejme nesnazi prelozit oficialni obchodni jmeno spolecnosti.

                      Potreboval jsem vedet, co ta zkrata znamena, abych prelozil vetu: XY B.V., a
                      besloten vennootschap organized under the Laws of the Netherlands.

                      Tomas