RE: [Czechlist] Re: radove (orders of magnitude)

  • Rubková
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2 2:21 AM
      Hi,
      as I had in mind mathematical meaning of the word used in different
      technical texts, I am quite satisfied.

      Thanks everybody

      Sarka

      From: Michael Trittipo <tritt002@... Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:20:08 -0500
      From: Michael Trittipo <tritt002@...>
      Subject: Re: r^a'dove^|y'

      A am always struggling with term øádový, øádovì in the following meaning:
      >Hodnota se pohybovala øádovì v tisících.
      >Vznikl øádový posun.

      For the first, "roughly in the thousands" or "in ranges measured in
      thousands" might work.

      For the second, "by an order of magnitude" would be OK in my book, although
      some here have found "order of magnitude" bookish or fear it to be misused
      by the type of people who misuse "quantum." Saying that the decimal point
      got shoved too far right or left is probably too informal.