Re: [Czechlist] inquiry: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 10/1/01 4:08:45 PM, ok2med@... writes:

      >"Dovolujeme si poprát Vam prijemne proziti vanocnich svatku a do
      >nadchazejícího roku predevsim pevné zdravi, stesti a uspechy v pracovnim
      >i osobnim zivote."

      No, I think that's fine. Just write:

      "We permit ourselves to wish that You pleasantly live though the Christmas
      holiday, and mainly immovable health, luck and successes in Your laborious
      and personal life."

      I think I saw that kind of translation all the time in the CR. What's wrong
      with it? ;-)

      Jamie

      P.S. Is anyone game for a bad translation contest? Not a contest for the
      worst translation you've found, but the worst job we ourselves can do at
      making a truly artfully rotten translation of a short text, maybe only one
      line long. In the English-speaking world, bad writing contests enjoy some
      popularity (I, for example, won a prize once for devising the worst first
      paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel.), but I've never heard of a bad
      translation contest. I think participants should be limited to creating bad
      translations into their own native tongue.
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        In a message dated 10/1/01 6:50:12 PM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

        >(not to mention the more modern south-of-Ireland
        >Hiberno-English "youse", although y´all might have something to say about
        >that in America...).

        How about "y'all", or "all y'all"? "Youse" sounds a bit too New York for my
        taste.

        Jamie
      • zehrovak@dr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          > Hi, everybody.

          Hi Hana,

          A belated welcome to the list and many thanks for your contributions.

          > Xmas is just around a corner

          It's starting earlier every year :(

          >I am just wondering what would be the best English text on greeting
          cards, if the Czech version is "Dovolujeme si poprat Vam prijemne

          Coilin wrote:

          > "I hope ye all have a lovely Christmas, and I wish ye health,
          wealth, and
          > every happiness in the coming year"

          I think that anything much more detailed than this would be rather
          out of character for English-language seasonal greetings cards. As
          you say, too many words. IMHO anything like a literal translation
          would sound too fussy for the 'genre' (we don't want it to sound like
          a condolence card now, do we?) though you might begin with something
          like "Wishing you a very merry/happy/pleasant(?)/ Christmas".

          Jamie wrote:
          P.S. Is anyone game for a bad translation contest?

          :)

          > Not a contest for the
          worst translation you've found, but the worst job we ourselves can do
          at
          making a truly artfully rotten translation of a short text,

          Byl pozdni vecer prvni maj,
          Vecerni maj byl lasky cas,
          Hrdlicin zval ku lasce hlas,
          Kde borovy zavanel haj.

          OK you asked for it. I penned the following on the bus into Prague
          this afternoon:

          Bill posed

          Bill posed. Never chair perve animae!
          Vetch animae, Bill, ask kitsch ass!
          Heard lichens, Val? Cool lasts, eh lass?
          G'day, borer visa van, yell high!

          What do I win?

          > In the English-speaking world, bad writing contests enjoy some
          popularity (I, for example, won a prize once for devising the worst
          first
          paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel.),

          How did it go?? What did you win???