RE: apostrophe and Czech keyboard

  • Dominik Lukes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
      I was amazed to hear how so many people struggle with the Czech keyboard
      layout. The answer is, of course, to spend a little time on installing a
      keyboard remapper. It may take about half an hour to set it up but it will
      probably save you that much in the first week just in ctrl-shifting. I've
      been using Keys (or Wxkbd.exe) for a couple of years now (there are others,
      just search on http://www.shareware.com). It's a free tool that will let you
      transform any Windows (including NT) keyboard in your image. It allows any
      key to represent anything and you can have as many layouts as you like. I
      basically have the Czech keyboard on all the time (doesn't work with Word 97
      and up because of spell-checking) with all the essential 'English keyboard'
      characters where I'm used to them. I type @, #, [, (, ) etc. through so I
      can get through a mixed Czech/English text 'jako namydlenej blesk' (I also
      have my own key shortcuts for the odd German and French word I need from
      time to time). I also used it to set up a Russian keyboard layout based on
      the Czech pronunciation of Russian, so I can type fast in Russian, too. I
      really recommend this program. It took me a while to figure out how to set
      it up but now it just sits in my Start up folder and saves me time. And
      it's free. The only downside is that now I'm so used to my personalized
      layout that I find it really frustrating to work on another computer because
      it feels so slow.

      Dominik

      ________________________
      Dominik Lukes
      http://www.bohemica.com

      +++++++++++++
      > I hate to ask this, but I have to-:))
      > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?

      I'm afraid I don't know -- I always use Ctrl+Shift to get the English
      keyboard and then type it using the apostrophe key.

      There must be a way of doing it from the Czech keyboard, though -- I'm
      sure somebody will know!

      Rachel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        Kostas Zgafas wrote:

        > I think this is something I even should not have asked. In other words - a
        > piece of cake. I just click on English keybord on the right low corner of
        > Windows and this switches my keybord
        > to English. But anyway, thank you all for your help.

        Or you can switch between the languages set up in Control Panels by pressing
        Alt and Shift keys simultaneously, on either side.