Re: [Czechlist] COMP: apostrophe on keyboard

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      I was presuming that most people would "read through" their translation
      anyway (even a 100-page test...)

      > > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
      > once
      > > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
      > words
      > > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
      > takes a
      > > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).
      >
      > If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
      > way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
      > it's a 100-page text...
      >
      > Rachel

    • Otto Pacholik
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        > WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you
        just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and
        get it all done in one stroke.

        You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
        numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

        Otto
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
          Otto Pacholik wrote

          > You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
          > numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

          Yeah, I did not mention in my posting that this only works with the
          left-hand-side Alteration key. The PC "knows" if you're pressing left or
          right Shift, Control or Alteration key.

          Jirka Bolech
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
            > I was presuming that most people would "read through" their
            > translation anyway (even a 100-page test...)

            Coilin, you are probably one of the most experienced Czech>English
            proofreaders in the world: you should know that many translators do not
            bother to proofread their own work.

            Even though you do proofread your own translations, I'd still recommend
            that you follow Rachel's procedure -- if only to avoid repetitive strain
            injury.

            Simon