inquiry: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

  • Petr Jarolím
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi, everybody.

      The Xmas is just around a corner (3 months or so) and I am just wondering what would be the best English text on greeting cards, if the Czech version is "Dovolujeme si popr�t Vam prijemne proziti vanocnich svatku a do
      nadchazej�c�ho roku predevsim pevn� zdravi, stesti a uspechy v pracovnim i osobnim zivote."
      Too many words in Czech, I would say
      Thanks for tips
      Hana

    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        To be honest, I think "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" would probably
        suffice, but, if you want something a little longer, you might be interested
        in knowing that there wasn´t a Christmas went by in our house without my
        Granny or one of her whiskey-addled cronies getting up on her hind legs,
        raising her glass to the heavens, and saying:

        "I hope ye all have a lovely Christmas, and I wish ye health, wealth, and
        every happiness in the coming year"

        I´m not sure if the olde worlde plural of "you" mightn´t be too much, even
        for a Christmas card (not to mention the more modern south-of-Ireland
        Hiberno-English "youse", although y´all might have something to say about
        that in America...).

        Yours probably not very helpfully

        Cóilín

        > The Xmas is just around a corner (3 months or so) and I am just wondering
        what would be the best English text on greeting cards, if the Czech version
        is "Dovolujeme si poprát Vam prijemne proziti vanocnich svatku a do

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          In a message dated 10/1/01 4:08:45 PM, ok2med@... writes:

          >"Dovolujeme si poprát Vam prijemne proziti vanocnich svatku a do
          >nadchazejícího roku predevsim pevné zdravi, stesti a uspechy v pracovnim
          >i osobnim zivote."

          No, I think that's fine. Just write:

          "We permit ourselves to wish that You pleasantly live though the Christmas
          holiday, and mainly immovable health, luck and successes in Your laborious
          and personal life."

          I think I saw that kind of translation all the time in the CR. What's wrong
          with it? ;-)

          Jamie

          P.S. Is anyone game for a bad translation contest? Not a contest for the
          worst translation you've found, but the worst job we ourselves can do at
          making a truly artfully rotten translation of a short text, maybe only one
          line long. In the English-speaking world, bad writing contests enjoy some
          popularity (I, for example, won a prize once for devising the worst first
          paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel.), but I've never heard of a bad
          translation contest. I think participants should be limited to creating bad
          translations into their own native tongue.
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            In a message dated 10/1/01 6:50:12 PM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

            >(not to mention the more modern south-of-Ireland
            >Hiberno-English "youse", although y´all might have something to say about
            >that in America...).

            How about "y'all", or "all y'all"? "Youse" sounds a bit too New York for my
            taste.

            Jamie
          • zehrovak@dr.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
              > Hi, everybody.

              Hi Hana,

              A belated welcome to the list and many thanks for your contributions.

              > Xmas is just around a corner

              It's starting earlier every year :(

              >I am just wondering what would be the best English text on greeting
              cards, if the Czech version is "Dovolujeme si poprat Vam prijemne

              Coilin wrote:

              > "I hope ye all have a lovely Christmas, and I wish ye health,
              wealth, and
              > every happiness in the coming year"

              I think that anything much more detailed than this would be rather
              out of character for English-language seasonal greetings cards. As
              you say, too many words. IMHO anything like a literal translation
              would sound too fussy for the 'genre' (we don't want it to sound like
              a condolence card now, do we?) though you might begin with something
              like "Wishing you a very merry/happy/pleasant(?)/ Christmas".

              Jamie wrote:
              P.S. Is anyone game for a bad translation contest?

              :)

              > Not a contest for the
              worst translation you've found, but the worst job we ourselves can do
              at
              making a truly artfully rotten translation of a short text,

              Byl pozdni vecer prvni maj,
              Vecerni maj byl lasky cas,
              Hrdlicin zval ku lasce hlas,
              Kde borovy zavanel haj.

              OK you asked for it. I penned the following on the bus into Prague
              this afternoon:

              Bill posed

              Bill posed. Never chair perve animae!
              Vetch animae, Bill, ask kitsch ass!
              Heard lichens, Val? Cool lasts, eh lass?
              G'day, borer visa van, yell high!

              What do I win?

              > In the English-speaking world, bad writing contests enjoy some
              popularity (I, for example, won a prize once for devising the worst
              first
              paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel.),

              How did it go?? What did you win???