Re: energeticky generel, etc.

  • Michal Ginter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
      > It sounds like magnificent jargon, Michal, but could it not be
      > ambiguous and will your reader know what it refers to? What kind of a
      > readership have you got there, anyway?

      My client is a Scottish adviser who works for the ministry on a Phare
      project. He writes in solid Brusselese. The text will serve as a
      background material for a workshop he will attend. So, I figure if he
      doesn't understand the term, he'll ask.

      > I also use the chimpanzee-typing-out-Shakespeare technique plus a
      > little communion with the cosmos and double inverted commas for
      > searches of whole phrases: e.g. "power blueprint". When I conducted
      > this search on Google I got 29 hits, many of them just chance adjacent
      > occurrences, a reference to a 'girl-power blueprint for the mature
      > chick', a reference to Tony Blair in mad-staring-eyes mode and his
      > Plans and one reference to energy policy in an Australian city not a
      > million miles from the Southern Ocean. I drew an equal blank with
      > plurals, so where am I going wrong and what am I missing?

      I also got one reference to a Taiwanese /I believe/ page which
      discussed the controversy surrounding nuclear power and whether it
      should be included in the country's power blueprint. I guess it just
      sounded right - intuitively.

      > Careful! They have special Czech versions for male and female
      > listeners. A mate of mine dozed off while listening to the one with
      > all the female endings and I hear he still has to take regular hormone
      > treatment.

      I usually listen to an American tape with no "affirmations" - just
      music. BTW - what's wrong with getting in touch with one's feminine
      side? :-)

      M.
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., Michal Ginter <michalginter@v...> wrote:

        > My client is a Scottish adviser who works for the ministry on a
        Phare
        > project.

        OK say no more :)

        > He writes in solid Brusselese.

        Actually, to go off on another tangent, I reckon this Brusselese
        sometimes gets some undeserved flack. Simon Vollam sent us a link to a
        very nice EU Translation Service style guide a while ago (#7466) and I
        thought it was a handbook in pure lucidity:

        http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/en/stygd/index.htm

        > BTW - what's wrong with getting in touch with one's feminine
        > side? :-)

        You've got me there fair and square, mate. I am a strong believer in
        being in touch with all of my sides especially my feminine side, but
        sometimes it is a bit of a juggling act you know, what with one side
        out in Delta Quadrant somewhere and the other side on a floppy disk
        that I had with me just a second ago...