Re: [Czechlist] COMP: apostrophe on keyboard

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      I was presuming that most people would "read through" their translation
      anyway (even a 100-page test...)

      > > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
      > once
      > > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
      > words
      > > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
      > takes a
      > > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).
      >
      > If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
      > way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
      > it's a 100-page text...
      >
      > Rachel

    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        >If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
        >you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
        >"apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
        >minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

        One more reason to get a Mac. Apostrophe is alt-§ (legal paragraph
        symbol) on a Czech keyboard, no more complicated than typing a
        capital letter.

        MacMichael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          In a message dated Mon, 1 Oct 2001 8:31:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> writes:

          > Kostas Zgafas asked:
          >
          > > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?
          >
          > You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
          > keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
          > Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
          > the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the Czech
          > keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not on
          > the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
          > accent = carka.
          >
          > In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
          > entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
          > decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
          > entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The apostrophe's
          > code is 39.
          >
          > In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol in
          > the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
          > standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
          > Characters flap along with its key shortcut.

          WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and get it all done in one stroke.

          JK
        • Otto Pacholik
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
            > WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you
            just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and
            get it all done in one stroke.

            You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
            numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

            Otto
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
              Otto Pacholik wrote

              > You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
              > numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

              Yeah, I did not mention in my posting that this only works with the
              left-hand-side Alteration key. The PC "knows" if you're pressing left or
              right Shift, Control or Alteration key.

              Jirka Bolech
            • Simon Vaughan
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                > I was presuming that most people would "read through" their
                > translation anyway (even a 100-page test...)

                Coilin, you are probably one of the most experienced Czech>English
                proofreaders in the world: you should know that many translators do not
                bother to proofread their own work.

                Even though you do proofread your own translations, I'd still recommend
                that you follow Rachel's procedure -- if only to avoid repetitive strain
                injury.

                Simon