THANKS: Re: Czech e-business revisited + term inquiry "energeticky generel"

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Michal Ginter <michalginter@v...> wrote:
      > Thanks, Mel. I was able to do some research re/ energeticky generel
      > on the net this morning. Found a bunch of US and UK sites referring
      > to "power blueprint." The description matched the Czech sites which
      > referred to "energeticky generel," so I guess I'm safe sticking to
      > power blueprint.

      It sounds like magnificent jargon, Michal, but could it not be
      ambiguous and will your reader know what it refers to? What kind of a
      readership have you got there, anyway?

      > My
      > research method is quite primitive, but it works. :-) First, I find
      > out what the word means. Then I decide what I would call it in the
      > other language, and try my concoction out on google. If I find no
      > hits from countries speaking that language, I know I'm probably off.
      > So, I keep on trying until I eventually click myself through to
      > something. :-)

      I also use the chimpanzee-typing-out-Shakespeare technique plus a
      little communion with the cosmos and double inverted commas for
      searches of whole phrases: e.g. "power blueprint". When I conducted
      this search on Google I got 29 hits, many of them just chance adjacent
      occurrences, a reference to a 'girl-power blueprint for the mature
      chick', a reference to Tony Blair in mad-staring-eyes mode and his
      Plans and one reference to energy policy in an Australian city not a
      million miles from the Southern Ocean. I drew an equal blank with
      plurals, so where am I going wrong and what am I missing?

      > Thanks for the tips re/ music. I usually listen to a superlearning
      > tape while I work on a written translation.

      Careful! They have special Czech versions for male and female
      listeners. A mate of mine dozed off while listening to the one with
      all the female endings and I hear he still has to take regular hormone
      treatment.

      > Re/ my scrapbook: I'll send it to you, but I'm not sure we should
      > publish it on the web. Wouldn't it cause a copyright problem?

      Yes, but don't worry. If anybody rips off your scrapbook I shall send
      the boys round (:) just my little jape - OK I won't put it in the
      files section).