Re: [Czechlist] COMP: apostrophe on keyboard

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
      once
      > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
      words
      > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
      takes a
      > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

      If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
      way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
      it's a 100-page text...

      Rachel
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        I was presuming that most people would "read through" their translation
        anyway (even a 100-page test...)

        > > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
        > once
        > > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
        > words
        > > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
        > takes a
        > > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).
        >
        > If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
        > way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
        > it's a 100-page text...
        >
        > Rachel

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          >If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
          >you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
          >"apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
          >minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

          One more reason to get a Mac. Apostrophe is alt-§ (legal paragraph
          symbol) on a Czech keyboard, no more complicated than typing a
          capital letter.

          MacMichael

          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
            In a message dated Mon, 1 Oct 2001 8:31:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> writes:

            > Kostas Zgafas asked:
            >
            > > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?
            >
            > You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
            > keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
            > Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
            > the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the Czech
            > keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not on
            > the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
            > accent = carka.
            >
            > In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
            > entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
            > decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
            > entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The apostrophe's
            > code is 39.
            >
            > In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol in
            > the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
            > standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
            > Characters flap along with its key shortcut.

            WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and get it all done in one stroke.

            JK
          • Otto Pacholik
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
              > WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you
              just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and
              get it all done in one stroke.

              You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
              numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

              Otto
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                Otto Pacholik wrote

                > You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
                > numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

                Yeah, I did not mention in my posting that this only works with the
                left-hand-side Alteration key. The PC "knows" if you're pressing left or
                right Shift, Control or Alteration key.

                Jirka Bolech
              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                  > I was presuming that most people would "read through" their
                  > translation anyway (even a 100-page test...)

                  Coilin, you are probably one of the most experienced Czech>English
                  proofreaders in the world: you should know that many translators do not
                  bother to proofread their own work.

                  Even though you do proofread your own translations, I'd still recommend
                  that you follow Rachel's procedure -- if only to avoid repetitive strain
                  injury.

                  Simon