Re: [Czechlist] COMP: apostrophe on keyboard

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
      you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
      "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
      minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

      I prefer this method because, when I started typing some years ago, I only
      had a Czech/German electric typewriter and my finger got used to the carka
      method of "apostrophising". Now, even if I use an English keyboard, I make
      so many typos (not just with carkas and apostrophes, but with y and z) that
      I find it much easier to type everything with a Czech keyboard and catch
      everything on the spellcheck.

      Native Czechs whose procedural reflexes might also be more attuned to the
      Czech keyboard may prefer this method also.

      HTH

      Coilin
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
        once
        > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
        words
        > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
        takes a
        > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

        If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
        way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
        it's a 100-page text...

        Rachel
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          I was presuming that most people would "read through" their translation
          anyway (even a 100-page test...)

          > > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
          > once
          > > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
          > words
          > > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
          > takes a
          > > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).
          >
          > If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
          > way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
          > it's a 100-page text...
          >
          > Rachel

        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
            >If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
            >you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
            >"apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
            >minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

            One more reason to get a Mac. Apostrophe is alt-§ (legal paragraph
            symbol) on a Czech keyboard, no more complicated than typing a
            capital letter.

            MacMichael

            Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
              In a message dated Mon, 1 Oct 2001 8:31:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> writes:

              > Kostas Zgafas asked:
              >
              > > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?
              >
              > You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
              > keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
              > Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
              > the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the Czech
              > keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not on
              > the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
              > accent = carka.
              >
              > In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
              > entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
              > decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
              > entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The apostrophe's
              > code is 39.
              >
              > In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol in
              > the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
              > standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
              > Characters flap along with its key shortcut.

              WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and get it all done in one stroke.

              JK
            • Otto Pacholik
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                > WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you
                just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and
                get it all done in one stroke.

                You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
                numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

                Otto
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Otto Pacholik wrote

                  > You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
                  > numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

                  Yeah, I did not mention in my posting that this only works with the
                  left-hand-side Alteration key. The PC "knows" if you're pressing left or
                  right Shift, Control or Alteration key.

                  Jirka Bolech
                • Simon Vaughan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                    > I was presuming that most people would "read through" their
                    > translation anyway (even a 100-page test...)

                    Coilin, you are probably one of the most experienced Czech>English
                    proofreaders in the world: you should know that many translators do not
                    bother to proofread their own work.

                    Even though you do proofread your own translations, I'd still recommend
                    that you follow Rachel's procedure -- if only to avoid repetitive strain
                    injury.

                    Simon