COMP: apostrophe on keyboard

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      Kostas Zgafas asked:

      > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?

      You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
      keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
      Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
      the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the Czech
      keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not on
      the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
      accent = carka.

      In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
      entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
      decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
      entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The apostrophe's
      code is 39.

      In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol in
      the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
      standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
      Characters flap along with its key shortcut.

      Jirka Bolech
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
        you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
        "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
        minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

        I prefer this method because, when I started typing some years ago, I only
        had a Czech/German electric typewriter and my finger got used to the carka
        method of "apostrophising". Now, even if I use an English keyboard, I make
        so many typos (not just with carkas and apostrophes, but with y and z) that
        I find it much easier to type everything with a Czech keyboard and catch
        everything on the spellcheck.

        Native Czechs whose procedural reflexes might also be more attuned to the
        Czech keyboard may prefer this method also.

        HTH

        Coilin
        > > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?
        >
        > You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
        > keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
        > Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
        > the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the
        Czech
        > keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not
        on
        > the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
        > accent = carka.
        >
        > In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
        > entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
        > decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
        > entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The
        apostrophe's
        > code is 39.
        >
        > In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol
        in
        > the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
        > standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
        > Characters flap along with its key shortcut.
        >
        > Jirka Bolech

      • Rachel Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
          once
          > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
          words
          > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
          takes a
          > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

          If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
          way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
          it's a 100-page text...

          Rachel
        • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
            I was presuming that most people would "read through" their translation
            anyway (even a 100-page test...)

            > > If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text
            > once
            > > you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All
            > words
            > > "apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only
            > takes a
            > > minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).
            >
            > If you're going to type with the carka and change later, the simplest
            > way is to do a global find and replace -- much quicker, especially if
            > it's a 100-page text...
            >
            > Rachel

          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
              >If this is too complicated, you can simply highlight the entire text once
              >you´ve finished and choose English as the spellcheck language. All words
              >"apostropheed" with a carka will be underlined in red, and it only takes a
              >minute to "right click" them (if you´ll excuse the pun).

              One more reason to get a Mac. Apostrophe is alt-§ (legal paragraph
              symbol) on a Czech keyboard, no more complicated than typing a
              capital letter.

              MacMichael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                In a message dated Mon, 1 Oct 2001 8:31:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> writes:

                > Kostas Zgafas asked:
                >
                > > How do you type the apostrophe on Czech keybord?
                >
                > You should switch to an ASCII keyboard mode; US keyboard, IBM keyboard, UK
                > keyboard... To set it up in Windows you click on Start, then Setting, then
                > Control Panels and there keyboard, language. Having such a driver active,
                > the apostrophe is on the same key as the Czech paragraph symbol on the Czech
                > keyboard, left of Enter, not belowe Escape, that's grave accent, and not on
                > the key with the hacek (shifted) on the Czech keyboard, that's the accute
                > accent = carka.
                >
                > In a Personal Computer, another possibility is to use the BIOS function of
                > entering an ASCII character by holding down the Alt key and typing the
                > decimal code of the character you desire simultaneously - the character is
                > entered whereever your cursor is on releasing the Alt key. The apostrophe's
                > code is 39.
                >
                > In Microsoft Word, you can also use this command: Insert and then Symbol in
                > the pull-down menu where you'll find the ASCII apostrophe within the
                > standard Latin character set or a better-looking apostrophe in the Special
                > Characters flap along with its key shortcut.

                WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and get it all done in one stroke.

                JK
              • Otto Pacholik
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                  > WOW! Nothing beats the Mac. With the Czech keyboard selected, you
                  just press Option and the the correct ASCII key simultaneously and
                  get it all done in one stroke.

                  You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
                  numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

                  Otto
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Otto Pacholik wrote

                    > You might be right. For PC users only: try left Alt + 39 on the
                    > numeric keyboard and you'll see the magic :-)))

                    Yeah, I did not mention in my posting that this only works with the
                    left-hand-side Alteration key. The PC "knows" if you're pressing left or
                    right Shift, Control or Alteration key.

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • Simon Vaughan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
                      > I was presuming that most people would "read through" their
                      > translation anyway (even a 100-page test...)

                      Coilin, you are probably one of the most experienced Czech>English
                      proofreaders in the world: you should know that many translators do not
                      bother to proofread their own work.

                      Even though you do proofread your own translations, I'd still recommend
                      that you follow Rachel's procedure -- if only to avoid repetitive strain
                      injury.

                      Simon