THANKS: Re: Czech e-business revisited + term inquiry "energeticky generel"

  • Michal Ginter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 9:42 AM
      Thanks, Mel. I was able to do some research re/ energeticky generel
      on the net this morning. Found a bunch of US and UK sites referring
      to "power blueprint." The description matched the Czech sites which
      referred to "energeticky generel," so I guess I'm safe sticking to
      power blueprint.

      I usually don't rely on Poldauf when it comes to red-tape terms. My
      research method is quite primitive, but it works. :-) First, I find
      out what the word means. Then I decide what I would call it in the
      other language, and try my concoction out on google. If I find no
      hits from countries speaking that language, I know I'm probably off.
      So, I keep on trying until I eventually click myself through to
      something. :-)

      Thanks for the tips re/ music. I usually listen to a superlearning
      tape while I work on a written translation. Quite a few superlearning
      authorities agree that Bach is best at tuning your brain up to Alfa,
      but I find that Mozart does the same thing for me.

      Re/ my scrapbook: I'll send it to you, but I'm not sure we should
      publish it on the web. Wouldn't it cause a copyright problem?

      M.
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., Michal Ginter <michalginter@v...> wrote:
        > Thanks, Mel. I was able to do some research re/ energeticky generel
        > on the net this morning. Found a bunch of US and UK sites referring
        > to "power blueprint." The description matched the Czech sites which
        > referred to "energeticky generel," so I guess I'm safe sticking to
        > power blueprint.

        It sounds like magnificent jargon, Michal, but could it not be
        ambiguous and will your reader know what it refers to? What kind of a
        readership have you got there, anyway?

        > My
        > research method is quite primitive, but it works. :-) First, I find
        > out what the word means. Then I decide what I would call it in the
        > other language, and try my concoction out on google. If I find no
        > hits from countries speaking that language, I know I'm probably off.
        > So, I keep on trying until I eventually click myself through to
        > something. :-)

        I also use the chimpanzee-typing-out-Shakespeare technique plus a
        little communion with the cosmos and double inverted commas for
        searches of whole phrases: e.g. "power blueprint". When I conducted
        this search on Google I got 29 hits, many of them just chance adjacent
        occurrences, a reference to a 'girl-power blueprint for the mature
        chick', a reference to Tony Blair in mad-staring-eyes mode and his
        Plans and one reference to energy policy in an Australian city not a
        million miles from the Southern Ocean. I drew an equal blank with
        plurals, so where am I going wrong and what am I missing?

        > Thanks for the tips re/ music. I usually listen to a superlearning
        > tape while I work on a written translation.

        Careful! They have special Czech versions for male and female
        listeners. A mate of mine dozed off while listening to the one with
        all the female endings and I hear he still has to take regular hormone
        treatment.

        > Re/ my scrapbook: I'll send it to you, but I'm not sure we should
        > publish it on the web. Wouldn't it cause a copyright problem?

        Yes, but don't worry. If anybody rips off your scrapbook I shall send
        the boys round (:) just my little jape - OK I won't put it in the
        files section).