Re: radove (orders of magnitude)

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2001
      Look for "orders of magnitude" on google and you will find the following
      nice explanation :

      "Many pretentious writers have begun to use the expression "orders of
      magnitude" without understanding what it means. The concept derives from the
      scientific notation of very large numbers in which each order of magnitude
      is ten times the previous one. When the bacteria in a flask have multiplied
      from some hundreds to some thousands, it is very handy to say that their
      numbers have increased by an order of magnitude, and when they have
      increased to some millions, that their numbers have increased by four orders
      of magnitude.

      Number language generally confuses people. Many seem to suppose that a 100%
      increase must be pretty much the same as an increase by an order of
      magnitude, but in fact such an increase represents merely a doubling of
      quantity. A "hundredfold" increase is even bigger: one hundred times as
      much. If you don't have a firms grasp on such concepts, it's best to avoid
      the expression altogether (I don't quite agree, one should learn it in
      translating technical documents. D.P.). After all, "Our audience is ten
      times as big now as when the show opened" makes the same point more clearly
      than "Our audience has increased by an order of magnitude."

      D. P.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hi,
        as I had in mind mathematical meaning of the word used in different
        technical texts, I am quite satisfied.

        Thanks everybody

        Sarka