Introduction

  • slavka kellnerova
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 1999

      >So I look forward to your introductions and any questions that you may
      >have.

      Hello Czechlist members,

      My name is Stanislava Kellnerova and I work as Department Head at the
      Collective Copyright Administration Department of Dilia Theatrical and
      Literary Agency. I have translated and co-translated several plays into
      Czech and very much enjoy this work, though sometimes I do need help with
      idioms.

      I think this list for Czech translators is a very good idea and I look
      forward to hearing from other translators.

      Slavka
    • Tomáš Skřont
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29 1:10 AM
        Hi all!

        Let me introduce myself as I am a new member of your wonderful association.
        Just briefly as I think you will have enough opportunities to meet me!

        My name is Tom and I am almost 26, still single. I have been working as a
        traslator just for four months. Before I had worked as an incoming operator
        in a travel agency, a teacher at a post-secondary school, a teacher at a
        private language school, and finally as a customer service in an express
        courier company. As I graduated economics, I focus on translations
        concerning economic presentations, business contracts, business
        documentation, advertising, etc. I translate mostly for translation
        agencies.

        THIS IS MY FIRST CONTRIBUTION TO YOUR LANGUAGE DISPUTES:
        While translation business contracts from English into Czech I found out
        that "contractual termilogy" is always written in capital letters (Contract,
        Agreement, Buyer, Seller, Lessee, Appendix, etc.). Is this a usage or is
        there rule applied to this? In Czech language there is no rule to write such
        terminology in capital letters. However, capital letters are used for
        emphasis (I guess).

        So, this is all for now on. I hope to meet you on Wednesday.

        Till then,

        Ing. Tomáš Skřont
        rychlý, levný a spolehlivý překladatelský servis
        Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Praha 5
        www.dtk.cz/tomasskront
        skront@...
      • Josef Palík
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29 9:47 AM
          Ahoj Tomasi, Mateji

          > While translation business contracts from English into Czech
          > I found out
          > that "contractual termilogy" is always written in capital
          > letters (Contract,
          > Agreement, Buyer, Seller, Lessee, Appendix, etc.)

          Obcas jsem se setkala v ceskych smlouvach s temito slovy psanymi ne velkymi
          pismeny, ale odlisnym rezem pisma (tucne, kurzivou nebo obojim zaroven).
          Sama to vetsinou takto resim - rozlisi se tak na prvni pohled rozdil mezi
          obecnym vyznamem toho slova a jeho konkretnim pouzitim v danem textu (jak
          poznamenal Matej). Pocatecni velke pismeno u techto slov nebo souslovi
          nevypada v cestine moc dobre.
          Ad vyrobce: maker se mi nevimproc nelibi. Producer? Co na to rikaji rodili
          mluvkove?

          Zdravim

          Vlasta
          ---
          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

          ---
          Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        • Jaroslav Suchanek
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 21, 2000
            Hello folks,

            let me to introduce as a new member of this group:
            my nickname is Jarda, I'm technical translator living in Praha, Czech Republic.

            Jaroslav Suchánek
            ENG>CZ freelance technical translator
            areas: electronics, audio&video, computers
            jardas@...
            Tel: +420-(0)2-6514734
          • Melvyn Clarke
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 21, 2000
              --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, "Jaroslav Suchanek" <jardas@m...> wrote:
              > Hello folks,
              >
              > let me to introduce as a new member of this group:
              > my nickname is Jarda, I'm technical translator living in Praha,
              Czech Republic.

              Welcome to the list, Jarda - I do look forward to your contributions.
              Just to let you know what we have on offer here:

              * A terrific bunch of contributors whose willingness to assist,
              inform and entertain can renew your faith in human nature:)...

              * Weekly meetings of Prague members at U Buvola on Stefanikova near
              Andel, 5.30 pm Thursday to discuss translation problems, analyse each
              other's work and have a good natter. Details in the Svepomoc mailing-
              list (which also sometimes serves as place for totally off-topic
              chat, pub meetings etc: Svepomoc-subscribe@egroups.com ). Newcomers
              always welcome, Jarda.

              * Occasional features such as "legal phrases and terms". (Any other
              ideas for such occasional items??)

              * DISCREET correction of your mistakes in written English off-list -
              (drop me a line: zehrovak@... ). Of course, Czech is also used on
              this list.

              * We have the support of several non-translators living in Britain,
              who are willing to give us their view on realia and everyday usage
              and even hunt down bureaucratic jargon and other linguistic oddities.

              * Anybody searching "Czech-English translation" on the more competent
              search engines :) will find Czechlist at the top of their results
              page.

              * Czechlist resources pages:
              Articles, glossaries, dictionaries, links, bibliography and more.

              Always on the look-out for other ways of improving Czechlist...

              Any more introductions?? C'mon all you new members. Write in and tell
              us about yourselves.

              Melvyn
            • jpelka@seznam.cz
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 21, 2000
                C'mon all you new members. Write in and tell
                > us about yourselves.

                Hi Melvyn and other curious guys (remember that "curiosity killed the
                cat"? and how would we say it in Czech - ????)

                - I am couple of weeks fresh member of Czechlist (ještě mi
                doma svítí
                monitor bez Czechlistu, Czechlist is on my office desk only), forty-
                something, bespectacled, beardy (just shaved recently but it grows
                quick...:-), 5-11, 200, (not gonna tell you my SSN), single (two
                adult kids living with my ex), US naturalized and Czech born citizen,
                had and has been living in Prague (10, 2, 6, 3, 7, 4) 1973-79, 1985-
                1987, 1999-???, formerly free-lance, now in-house
                translator/reviewer/editor (English>Czech), likes Belgian beer (when
                in Belgium), and Czech beer (when in "Czecho"), likes whole lot of
                other many things, among them tea with sugar, lemon and rum or
                sliwowitz now when feeling having a bad cold, soccer (whether my guys
                are winning or not), English on premises and at home, David Lynch,
                Rainer Fassbinder (correct my spelling) and John Waters and off-
                Hollywood movies, Nicolas Cage,
                and more...

                (Let us talk about other stuff at Buffalo Bar - Bar u Buvola).

                Jirka P. (P for /"Cinderella in Czech" minus "Po"/ = ??? - do you
                like riddles, guys?)
              • valerietalacko
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 22, 2005
                  Hello,

                  After browsing the very interesting archives, I've joined the group.
                  I was a translator from 1993-98, when I worked at the Czech News
                  Agency and also freelanced, predominantly in film, history, art and
                  theatre (it helped that my day job either started or ended at 2.30,
                  depending on the week!). In 1998 I returned to the UK and became a
                  research analyst, only translating occasionally. I've just come back
                  to the Czech Republic, and would like to start translating again.

                  Although I continued to read Czech - books and online - in the UK,
                  some new jargon must have passed me by in the last few years
                  (although online forums have helped keep up to date with slang!).
                  Moreover, there have been some significant technological
                  developments (the internet had only just taken off in 1998...) I'm
                  finding all sorts of useful websites - including the abbreviations
                  dictionary which someone kindly posted on here - but which post-98
                  facilities would you single out in particular?!

                  Thanks!

                  Valerie
                  (BTW, Talacko is my married name - I was Valerie Mason before 2004,
                  in case I met anyone who's on on here...)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2005
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "valerietalacko" <valerie@v...> wrote:
                    >but which post-98
                    > facilities would you single out in particular?!

                    Welcome to the list, Valerie. You might find some handy stuff
                    (dictionaries, glossaries, corpora etc) in the Czechlist resources:

                    Melvyn
                  • Valerie Talacko
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 23, 2005
                      Fantastic. I'd seen it a while ago, but had only scratched the surface...I don't think your Translation Problems series was there when I last visited. Dagmar Knittlova's book sounds good.

                      Thank you!

                      Valerie
                      > facilities would you single out in particular?!

                      Welcome to the list, Valerie. You might find some handy stuff
                      (dictionaries, glossaries, corpora etc) in the Czechlist resources:

                      Melvyn

                      Czechlist resources:

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 26, 2005
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@v...> wrote:
                        > Dagmar Knittlova's book sounds good.

                        Definitely. I have a much-thumbed, well-annotated copy, which I am
                        willing to swap for a while for anything interesting in the
                        'translatology' department...or whatever.

                        'Thinking Translation - a course in translation method: French to
                        English' by Hervey and Higgins was quite an inspiration too.

                        Hippo Heartbreakers?? Dear me! Whatever next?
                      • Hana Viansová
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 26, 2005
                          Well... Gorgeous Gorillas?

                          Yours imaginatively,