Ahoj vespolek

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 1999
      Now that we already have a few members in this group, this might be the time
      for introductions.

      I am originally from Manchester England but I have been living in the Prague
      area since 1990 and in Kamenne Zehrovice with my partner, Hana, since 1993.
      Up until about 1997 my main activity was teaching English but since that
      time I have concentrated on translation work and just do a bit of freelance
      teaching to keep my hand in (don't tell the Trades Licensing Office).

      I set this list up because I find Lantra is too unwieldy for my mailbox, the
      signal-to-noise ratio is unacceptable and there is very little mention of
      Czech anyway. Looking at other communities on this onelist site, I see that
      even relatively popular groups with 100-odd members seem to have daily
      traffic of 6-10 on-topic messages per day, which looks quite reasonable. BTW
      it is worth taking the time to have a look at some of these other groups.
      They really have EVERYTHING here and some interests that I never even
      dreamed existed! I especially like Babel Cafe for language lovers all over
      the world.

      Newcomers might like to have a look at my page on Czech-English translation
      problems on

      and I would be interested to hear any comments about this.

      I might be able to help some of you English-Czech translators with English
      idioms or the realia of English-speaking countries and if you have any more
      detailed queries on economic or legal matters, well try me. Maybe I know
      somebody who can help.

      So I look forward to your introductions and any questions that you may have.

      Cheers,

      Melvyn

      List owner

      Melvyn Clarke