Re: [Czechlist] klaster

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
      > >which goes into the history of the Cistercian Monastery at Osek.
      > >Haven't had time to read it all but it seems pretty clear from a quick
      > >skim that it was established and operated by Cistercian monks.

      FWIW, I used 'Osek Monastery' and 'the Cistercian monastery in* Osek' in
      the Molitor catalogue I translated last summer.

      *I suppose 'at' might be preferable if (as it seems) Osek is a small
      place.

      Simon
    • Tony Long
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
        I don't know about precision vs. dumbing down, and my existence is so
        cloistered that it fails to include much modern Irish, but I think the whole
        debate hinges on who uses the word most, to whom, and in what, and whether
        our translation will create confusion or not.

        The people who use the word 'cloister(s)' most in English are those who
        write about architecture. They do so to inform fellow architects of a
        particular kind of structure, or to describe such a structure to
        tourists/interested visitors. The word usually appears in journals and
        tourist literature.

        This structure/area may be part of a monastery or a nunnery. It is not
        usually the whole thing. My ancient Chambers Etymological Dictionary gives:
        'a covered arcade forming a part of a monastic or collegiate establishment;
        a place of religious retirement, a monastery or a nunnery' then derives the
        word from Old French and Latin for 'to shut, close'.
        A Faber dictionary of architecture (1993): 'A covered and often vaulted walk
        around an open space (or Garth) that is usually square on plan, having a
        largely solid outer wall and openings, sometimes filled with tracery, on the
        garth. A feature particularly of monasteries, in which it forms a passageway
        from the church to the chapter-house, refectory, etc.

        IMO, whatever its original meaning or use - and whatever relict usage
        survives in special circumstances such as religion-marinated Erin Go Brath -
        'cloister' as a noun refers to part of a building/complex, not the whole
        thing. As a verb, it means 'to confine', with overtones of uncomfortable but
        necessary proximity, possibly secrecy; 'he's been cloistered with the
        designers for hours. I wonder what they're cooking up'.

        In all the religious, historical, and tourist literature we have translated
        over the years, I have always avoided using the word 'cloister' at all, in
        order to avoid confusion. If it's a place, then it's a monastery, convent,
        nunnery, retreat, college, etc. If it's a covered walk with fancy vaulting
        around a courtyard, then that's what I say, one way or another. The
        definitions often mean that we have to talk to the author or even ask for
        photographs or go for a look - not always practical, I know.

        False friends always seem to invite the 'shoe-horn' approach - with
        etymology at one's side, a body of loose usage from previous literature
        egging one on, and a cosy feeling of technical rectitude, one squeezes the
        meaning into the word and leaves the text to limp on - in the assumption
        that one will never have to meet it again, a couple of years later, and see
        just how crippled it is ....

        As a hollow laugh and a reminder to beware of similar-looking words,
        especially on Latin roots, the pencil-holder on our kitchen shelf is a posh
        jar from Harrods (booty from some pharma-freebie), the label of which
        proudly proclaims: 'Home Produced Organic Marmalade guaranteed free of
        artificial preservatives'. I should bloodywell hope so - but there's a
        couple more in there as well.

        Best

        Tony
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
          I liked your discussion of this word.

          >The people who use the word 'cloister(s)' most in English are those who
          >write about architecture.

          It depends on what you are exposed to in life. I hear the term "cloister"
          used far less in an architectural meaning than in relation to the practice of
          cloistering nuns. In that sense too, it refers only to part of the convent
          or monastery.