Outsourcing revisited

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      Thankx for suggestions Jirka, hotelove sluzby still smells of accomodation
      and tiny little soap bars to me, I'll probably stick with the English term
      and maybe explain it....

      As for outsourcing - I think Nathan is closer to the meaning in this
      document (use of someone else's resources, i.e. third party) - but couldn't
      it also be outsourcing your company's work to outside of your offices, still
      using your employees to do it (called telecommuting as well??)

      Here's the sentence again:

      "With high-speed voice and data broadband connections, you've got the
      superstructure in place to support the tools you need-from hoteling to
      videoconferencing, to maximizing your outsource potential and streamlining
      your administrative regime".

      There's lots of talk about flexible office space and "intelligent" buildings
      with integrated IT networks blah, blah in the document, which made me think
      that outsourcing (in this case) could mean this - saving on office space by
      having people work somewhere else - is this too far from its original
      meaning, anyone?

      Thanks

      Matej

      As for outsourcing, I thought it meant

    • otto@pacholik.cz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        > it also be outsourcing your company's work to outside of your

        I've never seen outsourcing used in this particular context but
        always in its meaning of hiring external resources. My suggestion is
        to make externi pracovnici or externi firmy (as already proposed) out
        of it.

        > superstructure in place to support the tools you need-from hoteling

        There has been a new trend over a last couple of years of so
        called "Internet hotels". An Internet hotel is simply a building with
        all the networking infrastructure in place where you put your servers
        and the hotel takes care of it. There is also another option which is
        hire of equipemnt rather than just location of premises.

        In the particular context I'd rather use something
        like "infrastruktura, nutna k vyuziti vsech nejmodernejsich
        technologii (napr. flexibilni kancelar, videokonference …).

        But you asked about an established Czech term and here I can
        definitely say, no there hasn't been any such term so far.

        Just my 0.02 CZK ;-)

        Otto