Re: Yipiyuk

  • jpelkacz@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2001
      > > "chechota" for Yipiyuk? Does Yipiyuk actually mean something
      apart from
      > > "one that goes 'yippee' all the time"?
      >
      > First of all, I have no idea whether it's been translated into
      Czech. You
      > might try doing a "Google" search on the words Czech/cesky and
      > Silverstein, though.
      >
      > I don't know the poem at all, but "chechota" sounds like a
      perfectly fine
      > translation of the word "Yipiyuk". Kudos to you for coming up with
      it.
      > "Yippee" means an spontaneous cry of joy, while "yuk" means a kind
      of
      > laughter. The whole thing together has a Native American ring to
      it (in
      > addition to being absurd). To my brain, "Chechota" seems to
      preserve all
      > (or most) of this, except that the yippee part is not as prominent
      in the
      > Czech "chechota".

      As Nathan pointed at absurd and native flavor (I feel it is
      almost "Jara da Cimrman"-like lovely dadaist nonsense), and
      as "Yipiyuk" is a hybrid, have you considered creating a nonsensical
      Czech hybrid, too?

      E.g. - well, I have no "basnicke strevo" this morning (no poetical
      inspiration due to early job tension..., perhaps late evening).

      Jiri