Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Zakladni umelecka skola

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      > The problem is "arts" in the plural in "arts school", because you can't
      > hear the difference between that and "art school", which is a place
      > where only visual arts are taught. If it includes music, dance and
      > other arts, you usually have to give the generic term for the
      > institution (whether a school or something else) and follow it with
      > "for the arts".

      Thanks for drawing this to my attention, Jamie. You're completely right.
      My fault, not Irena's: I probably misquoted her.

      > A native anglophone's first question upon seeing "primary arts school"
      > is likely to be "what are primary arts?"

      It wouldn't be if people habitually punctuated properly! If they did, a
      school for primary arts (whatever they are) would be a 'primary-arts
      school'. Ignore me: I'm just stirring.

      > The term "primary arts school" also does not convey that such
      > schools (including zakladni jazykove skoly, etc.) are what are called
      > "magnet schools", meant to attract students talented in the schools'
      > specialties, who would not normally be assigned to that school due
      > to where they live. I think "primary school for the arts" would convey
      > this.

      Yes, I think I'll use 'primary school for the arts'. 'Magnet school',
      which Michael mentioned in the original discussion, seems specifically
      American.

      Simon
    • Jiri Pelka
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
        Hi Simon,

        I like your suggestion "the Primary Arts School" (PAS) as it suggests
        quite right that

        - PAS does belong to the state education system and is supported by
        taxpayers (you pay peanuts for tution)

        - PAS leads directly (provided you are good at what you are doing) to
        the secondary arts education, i.e. to "konzervator/concervatory"
        with "maturita - HSLE", and then (if you are really exceelent) to
        tertiary arts education, i.e. "Academy of (music, theatrical, film,
        etc.) Arts".

        Jiri
      • livingston@seznam.cz
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
          > I like your suggestion "the Primary Arts School" (PAS) as it suggests
          > quite right that

          > - PAS does belong to the state education system and is supported by
          > taxpayers (you pay peanuts for tution)

          > - PAS leads directly (provided you are good at what you are doing) to the
          > secondary arts education, i.e. to "konzervator/concervatory" with
          > "maturita - HSLE", and then (if you are really exceelent) to tertiary
          > arts education, i.e. "Academy of (music, theatrical, film, etc.) Arts".

          However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
          point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child comes
          home from "regular" primary school!

          Nathan Cutler
        • jpelkacz@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
            Hi Nathan,

            > However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on
            this
            > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
            comes
            > home from "regular" primary school!

            That's true - but it depends upon the particular pupil and his/her
            family - more often than not, especially when a pupil is gifted and
            starts ZUS at the age of 5 or 6, they consider ZUS as the primary
            branch of pupil's education (regular mandatory primary education
            being "necessary obligation").

            In fact, without attending ZUS and having its leaving exam, one
            cannot think about going to conservatory, which, then 9at the age of
            15) becomes students only secondary education institution.

            So, even though it's attended at the afternoons, it still is
            mandatory for arts-oriented guys who want to go to conservatory and
            then to academy.

            I know some students who, after ZUS attended "regular" high school,
            and then went to arts oriented program at the university (and, again,
            attending with success ZUS was almost pre-requisite).

            All the same, I know another examples (such as my brother and me),
            who went to ZUS and that was it (ZUS just broadened and deepened
            overall knowledge with respect to arts, and one can still play a
            musical instrument at home occassionally).

            Jiri Pelka
          • Simon Vaughan
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
              > However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
              > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
              > comes home from "regular" primary school!

              Any idea how to get this across in translation without being either clumsy
              (as in 'after-school...school') or misleading (as in my earlier
              suggestion,
              'club')?

              Simon
            • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
                However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
                > > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
                > > comes home from "regular" primary school!
                >
                > Any idea how to get this across in translation without being either clumsy
                > (as in 'after-school...school') or misleading (as in my earlier
                > suggestion,
                > 'club')?

                "extracurricular" maybe?

                Coilin