Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Zakladni umelecka skola

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      In a message dated 8/2/01 10:47:09 AM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

      >Now, as Irena pointed out, these places have been renamed 'zakladni
      >umelecke skoly'. Does anyone have any good ideas about what to do with
      >this new name? Stick with 'Community Arts School', or reflect the name
      >change in English with something like 'Primary Arts School'.

      I use a circumlocution for these when writing for a US audience. I say
      something like a "magnet elementary school for the arts". You could say
      "primary school for the arts" or "elementary school for the arts".

      The problem is "arts" in the plural in "arts school", because you can't hear
      the difference between that and "art school", which is a place where only
      visual arts are taught. If it includes music, dance and other arts, you
      usually have to give the generic term for the institution (whether a school
      or something else) and follow it with "for the arts".

      A native anglophone's first question upon seeing "primary arts school" is
      likely to be "what are primary arts?" The term "primary arts school" also
      does not convey that such schools (including zakladni jazykove skoly, etc.)
      are what are called "magnet schools", meant to attract students talented in
      the schools' specialties, who would not normally be assigned to that school
      due to where they live. I think "primary school for the arts" would convey
      this.

      Jamie
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
        > The problem is "arts" in the plural in "arts school", because you can't
        > hear the difference between that and "art school", which is a place
        > where only visual arts are taught. If it includes music, dance and
        > other arts, you usually have to give the generic term for the
        > institution (whether a school or something else) and follow it with
        > "for the arts".

        Thanks for drawing this to my attention, Jamie. You're completely right.
        My fault, not Irena's: I probably misquoted her.

        > A native anglophone's first question upon seeing "primary arts school"
        > is likely to be "what are primary arts?"

        It wouldn't be if people habitually punctuated properly! If they did, a
        school for primary arts (whatever they are) would be a 'primary-arts
        school'. Ignore me: I'm just stirring.

        > The term "primary arts school" also does not convey that such
        > schools (including zakladni jazykove skoly, etc.) are what are called
        > "magnet schools", meant to attract students talented in the schools'
        > specialties, who would not normally be assigned to that school due
        > to where they live. I think "primary school for the arts" would convey
        > this.

        Yes, I think I'll use 'primary school for the arts'. 'Magnet school',
        which Michael mentioned in the original discussion, seems specifically
        American.

        Simon
      • Jiri Pelka
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi Simon,

          I like your suggestion "the Primary Arts School" (PAS) as it suggests
          quite right that

          - PAS does belong to the state education system and is supported by
          taxpayers (you pay peanuts for tution)

          - PAS leads directly (provided you are good at what you are doing) to
          the secondary arts education, i.e. to "konzervator/concervatory"
          with "maturita - HSLE", and then (if you are really exceelent) to
          tertiary arts education, i.e. "Academy of (music, theatrical, film,
          etc.) Arts".

          Jiri
        • livingston@seznam.cz
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
            > I like your suggestion "the Primary Arts School" (PAS) as it suggests
            > quite right that

            > - PAS does belong to the state education system and is supported by
            > taxpayers (you pay peanuts for tution)

            > - PAS leads directly (provided you are good at what you are doing) to the
            > secondary arts education, i.e. to "konzervator/concervatory" with
            > "maturita - HSLE", and then (if you are really exceelent) to tertiary
            > arts education, i.e. "Academy of (music, theatrical, film, etc.) Arts".

            However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
            point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child comes
            home from "regular" primary school!

            Nathan Cutler
          • jpelkacz@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
              Hi Nathan,

              > However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on
              this
              > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
              comes
              > home from "regular" primary school!

              That's true - but it depends upon the particular pupil and his/her
              family - more often than not, especially when a pupil is gifted and
              starts ZUS at the age of 5 or 6, they consider ZUS as the primary
              branch of pupil's education (regular mandatory primary education
              being "necessary obligation").

              In fact, without attending ZUS and having its leaving exam, one
              cannot think about going to conservatory, which, then 9at the age of
              15) becomes students only secondary education institution.

              So, even though it's attended at the afternoons, it still is
              mandatory for arts-oriented guys who want to go to conservatory and
              then to academy.

              I know some students who, after ZUS attended "regular" high school,
              and then went to arts oriented program at the university (and, again,
              attending with success ZUS was almost pre-requisite).

              All the same, I know another examples (such as my brother and me),
              who went to ZUS and that was it (ZUS just broadened and deepened
              overall knowledge with respect to arts, and one can still play a
              musical instrument at home occassionally).

              Jiri Pelka
            • Simon Vaughan
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
                > However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
                > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
                > comes home from "regular" primary school!

                Any idea how to get this across in translation without being either clumsy
                (as in 'after-school...school') or misleading (as in my earlier
                suggestion,
                'club')?

                Simon
              • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
                  However, it does not convey (and can be potentially misleading on this
                  > > point) that ZUS is only attended in the afternoons, after the child
                  > > comes home from "regular" primary school!
                  >
                  > Any idea how to get this across in translation without being either clumsy
                  > (as in 'after-school...school') or misleading (as in my earlier
                  > suggestion,
                  > 'club')?

                  "extracurricular" maybe?

                  Coilin