[Czechlist] Grass

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
      Honza

      The 'Ditigiaria' is almost certainly foxglove (Digitalis spp.) - nAprstnIk
      velkoKvetY in Czech, nearly the same in Slovak.

      Talking of prst and digit, Honzo, extract yours a bit sharp, sunshine. In
      Judd Street someone is sitting within walking range of some of the best
      biological libraries in the world - envy of such a location comes nowhere
      near to describing how I feel as I track my animals and plants through the
      wilds of the Moravian Museum and the various Brno academies.

      Also, the most valuable things I have learned by subscribing to Czechlist
      (apart from alternative words to bawl at the local fascists to the tune of
      'Colonel Bogey') are all internet search wrinkles STARTING WITH GOOGLE. I
      don't know how other subscribers feel, but if Linnaean names and matters
      biological come up, I assume that the standard texts have been found lacking
      and the old perennial Absurdissimus sovietae forma Czeskoslovenskia -
      otherwise known as the taxonomical ballsup that is/was Russian biology for
      50 years - has poked its poxy petals over the parapet and some concentrated
      research is needed.

      A couple of standard bits of foliage?? You're shooting sparrows with a
      Kalashnikov, mate - only it's our AK and, in the course of hard days, we
      often don't have a lot of ammo.

      Tony
    • Jan Nechanicky
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
        Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
        I have had a look at Google and found most of the terms, so thanks
        Rachel for that.
        Thanks to Tony as well, I am well aware about the libraries (yes, I live
        a two minute walk from the New British Library and go there often) but I
        do not think my clients would either appreciate my time spent there or
        even pay for it.
        PS I have not have a Kalashnikov, only a spray gun to scare away the
        pidgeons (yes, yes, I do use it to scare humans, too, if you think of
        it)
        Cheerio
        Honza

        --
        Jan Nechanicky MIL

        For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

        CZECH IT OUT Translations
        Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
        TEL 020 7833 0649
        59 Clare Court, Judd Street
        London WC1H 9QW
        fax 020 7419 4784
        eFAX: 0870 133 4282
        eMAIL jannech@...
      • Jiri Pelka
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi all,

          the advice by Rachel to look at Google with Latin name was excellent
          (simplicity is, again & again, beautiful).

          Just tried once, and voila - I got this

          Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
          (a.k.a. Elytrigia repens)

          Jiri (a.k.a. happy camper today - just cleaned my computer with
          another kind advice by Matej Klimes)