Re: Grass

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Jan Nechanicky <jannech@c...> wrote:
      > Hello all ?

      Hello Honza??

      anyone knows the English names of the following types of
      > grass,

      Of course anyone knows because anyone can go to www.google.com and
      check out the Latin names in seconds. Why don't you do that? I
      checked out your first three for you in thirty seconds:

      > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) - Johnson Grass
      > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) Barnyardgrass
      > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oats? - Wild oats

      M.
    • Jana Louvarová
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hello,

        I found following terms in my dictionary:

        > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) = Johnson grass (in fact it should be
        cirok halepsky, but it´s minor detail)

        > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) = barnyard grass, prickly-grass,
        cockpur-grass (jez*atka kur*i' noha)

        > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oat grass, wild oats

        > proso siete (Panicum millaceum) - this should be millet (yes, it is:-)

        > prstovka (Digitaria app.) sorry, I haven´t found this one:-(((

        > py'r plazivy (elytrigia repens) ? couch-grass? and also quick grass,
        scutch grass, quack grass and twitch ;-)

        Hope this helps.
        Have a nice day!
        Jana
      • Tony Long
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
          Honza

          The 'Ditigiaria' is almost certainly foxglove (Digitalis spp.) - nAprstnIk
          velkoKvetY in Czech, nearly the same in Slovak.

          Talking of prst and digit, Honzo, extract yours a bit sharp, sunshine. In
          Judd Street someone is sitting within walking range of some of the best
          biological libraries in the world - envy of such a location comes nowhere
          near to describing how I feel as I track my animals and plants through the
          wilds of the Moravian Museum and the various Brno academies.

          Also, the most valuable things I have learned by subscribing to Czechlist
          (apart from alternative words to bawl at the local fascists to the tune of
          'Colonel Bogey') are all internet search wrinkles STARTING WITH GOOGLE. I
          don't know how other subscribers feel, but if Linnaean names and matters
          biological come up, I assume that the standard texts have been found lacking
          and the old perennial Absurdissimus sovietae forma Czeskoslovenskia -
          otherwise known as the taxonomical ballsup that is/was Russian biology for
          50 years - has poked its poxy petals over the parapet and some concentrated
          research is needed.

          A couple of standard bits of foliage?? You're shooting sparrows with a
          Kalashnikov, mate - only it's our AK and, in the course of hard days, we
          often don't have a lot of ammo.

          Tony
        • Jan Nechanicky
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
            Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
            I have had a look at Google and found most of the terms, so thanks
            Rachel for that.
            Thanks to Tony as well, I am well aware about the libraries (yes, I live
            a two minute walk from the New British Library and go there often) but I
            do not think my clients would either appreciate my time spent there or
            even pay for it.
            PS I have not have a Kalashnikov, only a spray gun to scare away the
            pidgeons (yes, yes, I do use it to scare humans, too, if you think of
            it)
            Cheerio
            Honza

            --
            Jan Nechanicky MIL

            For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

            CZECH IT OUT Translations
            Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
            TEL 020 7833 0649
            59 Clare Court, Judd Street
            London WC1H 9QW
            fax 020 7419 4784
            eFAX: 0870 133 4282
            eMAIL jannech@...
          • Jiri Pelka
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
              Hi all,

              the advice by Rachel to look at Google with Latin name was excellent
              (simplicity is, again & again, beautiful).

              Just tried once, and voila - I got this

              Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
              (a.k.a. Elytrigia repens)

              Jiri (a.k.a. happy camper today - just cleaned my computer with
              another kind advice by Matej Klimes)