Re: Grass

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Jan Nechanicky <jannech@c...> wrote:
      > Hello all ?

      Hello Honza??

      anyone knows the English names of the following types of
      > grass,

      Of course anyone knows because anyone can go to www.google.com and
      check out the Latin names in seconds. Why don't you do that? I
      checked out your first three for you in thirty seconds:

      > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) - Johnson Grass
      > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) Barnyardgrass
      > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oats? - Wild oats

      M.
    • Rachel Thompson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        > Hello all ? anyone knows the English names of the following types of
        > grass, which, to compound the problem are in Slovak:

        Hi Jan,

        I suggest you go to www.google.com and type in the latin names. You
        should find a number of sites giving English equivalents.

        Hope this helps,

        Rachel
      • Jana Louvarová
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hello,

          I found following terms in my dictionary:

          > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) = Johnson grass (in fact it should be
          cirok halepsky, but it´s minor detail)

          > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) = barnyard grass, prickly-grass,
          cockpur-grass (jez*atka kur*i' noha)

          > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oat grass, wild oats

          > proso siete (Panicum millaceum) - this should be millet (yes, it is:-)

          > prstovka (Digitaria app.) sorry, I haven´t found this one:-(((

          > py'r plazivy (elytrigia repens) ? couch-grass? and also quick grass,
          scutch grass, quack grass and twitch ;-)

          Hope this helps.
          Have a nice day!
          Jana
        • Tony Long
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
            Honza

            The 'Ditigiaria' is almost certainly foxglove (Digitalis spp.) - nAprstnIk
            velkoKvetY in Czech, nearly the same in Slovak.

            Talking of prst and digit, Honzo, extract yours a bit sharp, sunshine. In
            Judd Street someone is sitting within walking range of some of the best
            biological libraries in the world - envy of such a location comes nowhere
            near to describing how I feel as I track my animals and plants through the
            wilds of the Moravian Museum and the various Brno academies.

            Also, the most valuable things I have learned by subscribing to Czechlist
            (apart from alternative words to bawl at the local fascists to the tune of
            'Colonel Bogey') are all internet search wrinkles STARTING WITH GOOGLE. I
            don't know how other subscribers feel, but if Linnaean names and matters
            biological come up, I assume that the standard texts have been found lacking
            and the old perennial Absurdissimus sovietae forma Czeskoslovenskia -
            otherwise known as the taxonomical ballsup that is/was Russian biology for
            50 years - has poked its poxy petals over the parapet and some concentrated
            research is needed.

            A couple of standard bits of foliage?? You're shooting sparrows with a
            Kalashnikov, mate - only it's our AK and, in the course of hard days, we
            often don't have a lot of ammo.

            Tony
          • Jan Nechanicky
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
              Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
              I have had a look at Google and found most of the terms, so thanks
              Rachel for that.
              Thanks to Tony as well, I am well aware about the libraries (yes, I live
              a two minute walk from the New British Library and go there often) but I
              do not think my clients would either appreciate my time spent there or
              even pay for it.
              PS I have not have a Kalashnikov, only a spray gun to scare away the
              pidgeons (yes, yes, I do use it to scare humans, too, if you think of
              it)
              Cheerio
              Honza

              --
              Jan Nechanicky MIL

              For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

              CZECH IT OUT Translations
              Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
              TEL 020 7833 0649
              59 Clare Court, Judd Street
              London WC1H 9QW
              fax 020 7419 4784
              eFAX: 0870 133 4282
              eMAIL jannech@...
            • Jiri Pelka
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
                Hi all,

                the advice by Rachel to look at Google with Latin name was excellent
                (simplicity is, again & again, beautiful).

                Just tried once, and voila - I got this

                Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
                (a.k.a. Elytrigia repens)

                Jiri (a.k.a. happy camper today - just cleaned my computer with
                another kind advice by Matej Klimes)