Re: Grass

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 6:06 AM
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Jan Nechanicky <jannech@c...> wrote:
      > Hello all ?

      Hello Honza??

      anyone knows the English names of the following types of
      > grass,

      Of course anyone knows because anyone can go to www.google.com and
      check out the Latin names in seconds. Why don't you do that? I
      checked out your first three for you in thirty seconds:

      > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) - Johnson Grass
      > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) Barnyardgrass
      > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oats? - Wild oats

      M.
    • Rachel Thompson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 6:10 AM
        > Hello all ? anyone knows the English names of the following types of
        > grass, which, to compound the problem are in Slovak:

        Hi Jan,

        I suggest you go to www.google.com and type in the latin names. You
        should find a number of sites giving English equivalents.

        Hope this helps,

        Rachel
      • Jan Nechanicky
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 1:40 PM
          Hello all ? anyone knows the English names of the following types of
          grass, which, to compound the problem are in Slovak:

          cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense)
          jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa)
          ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oats?
          proso siete (Panicum millaceum) - this should be millet
          prstovka (Digitaria app.)
          py’r plazivy (elytrigia repens) ? couch-grass?

          I guess if not successful, I can just leave them in Latin.

          Very much obliged for your effort.
          Honza
          --
          Jan Nechanicky MIL

          For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

          CZECH IT OUT Translations
          Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
          TEL 020 7833 0649
          59 Clare Court, Judd Street
          London WC1H 9QW
          fax 020 7419 4784
          eFAX: 0870 133 4282
          eMAIL jannech@...
        • Jana Louvarová
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 11:12 PM
            Hello,

            I found following terms in my dictionary:

            > cirok alepsky (Sorghum halepense) = Johnson grass (in fact it should be
            cirok halepsky, but it´s minor detail)

            > jez*atka kuria (Echinochloa) = barnyard grass, prickly-grass,
            cockpur-grass (jez*atka kur*i' noha)

            > ovos hluchy (Avena fatua) - oat grass, wild oats

            > proso siete (Panicum millaceum) - this should be millet (yes, it is:-)

            > prstovka (Digitaria app.) sorry, I haven´t found this one:-(((

            > py'r plazivy (elytrigia repens) ? couch-grass? and also quick grass,
            scutch grass, quack grass and twitch ;-)

            Hope this helps.
            Have a nice day!
            Jana
          • Tony Long
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 12:42 AM
              Honza

              The 'Ditigiaria' is almost certainly foxglove (Digitalis spp.) - nAprstnIk
              velkoKvetY in Czech, nearly the same in Slovak.

              Talking of prst and digit, Honzo, extract yours a bit sharp, sunshine. In
              Judd Street someone is sitting within walking range of some of the best
              biological libraries in the world - envy of such a location comes nowhere
              near to describing how I feel as I track my animals and plants through the
              wilds of the Moravian Museum and the various Brno academies.

              Also, the most valuable things I have learned by subscribing to Czechlist
              (apart from alternative words to bawl at the local fascists to the tune of
              'Colonel Bogey') are all internet search wrinkles STARTING WITH GOOGLE. I
              don't know how other subscribers feel, but if Linnaean names and matters
              biological come up, I assume that the standard texts have been found lacking
              and the old perennial Absurdissimus sovietae forma Czeskoslovenskia -
              otherwise known as the taxonomical ballsup that is/was Russian biology for
              50 years - has poked its poxy petals over the parapet and some concentrated
              research is needed.

              A couple of standard bits of foliage?? You're shooting sparrows with a
              Kalashnikov, mate - only it's our AK and, in the course of hard days, we
              often don't have a lot of ammo.

              Tony
            • Jan Nechanicky
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 11:17 AM
                Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
                I have had a look at Google and found most of the terms, so thanks
                Rachel for that.
                Thanks to Tony as well, I am well aware about the libraries (yes, I live
                a two minute walk from the New British Library and go there often) but I
                do not think my clients would either appreciate my time spent there or
                even pay for it.
                PS I have not have a Kalashnikov, only a spray gun to scare away the
                pidgeons (yes, yes, I do use it to scare humans, too, if you think of
                it)
                Cheerio
                Honza

                --
                Jan Nechanicky MIL

                For QUICK response and AVAILABILITY use mobile 07867 970 842

                CZECH IT OUT Translations
                Institute of Linguists Member - www.iol.org.uk
                TEL 020 7833 0649
                59 Clare Court, Judd Street
                London WC1H 9QW
                fax 020 7419 4784
                eFAX: 0870 133 4282
                eMAIL jannech@...
              • Jiri Pelka
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 3:20 PM
                  Hi all,

                  the advice by Rachel to look at Google with Latin name was excellent
                  (simplicity is, again & again, beautiful).

                  Just tried once, and voila - I got this

                  Quackgrass (Agropyron repens)
                  (a.k.a. Elytrigia repens)

                  Jiri (a.k.a. happy camper today - just cleaned my computer with
                  another kind advice by Matej Klimes)