Chinese placenames (was Academic terms)

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      > > "Absolvent odborné stáze na Tchaj-wanu"
      >
      > means exactly just what Monica (not Seles, the other famous
      > one) was, i.e. "Intern at Tchai-wan" or "Completed Internship at
      > Tchai-wan"

      That should be 'in Taiwan' (big islands take 'in' not 'on' -- and
      certainly not 'at'). Remember, Chinese placenames get transliterated
      differently in English. Usually they're much simpler than in Czech: just
      compare 'Qiqihar' with 'C^chi-c^chi-cha-er' (although the Czech version
      probably gives Czechs a better idea of how to pronounce the name than the
      English version -- which is an academic transliteration not a native
      adaptation -- does English-speakers). BTW, we English-speakers are
      supposed to call the Chinese capital 'Beijing', not 'Peking'.

      Simon